Heated seats / climate seats

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

As I continue to complete the 165 point check that the dealer failed to do, I've been trying to figure out if the heated seats work in my recently acquired P380. Both heated and cooled seats are in the spec.

I have come to the following possible conclusions. Are any of these correct ?

1) They only work when the general heating / climate system is on ? (which would be odd as would want them on with top down and heating off).
2) They aren't quite as hot as some other cars heated seats ?
3) There is only heat in the upright part of the seat, not on the bit your bum goes on ?
3) They only work when you are actually sat on the seats ?

And as for the air conditioned / seat cooling aspect...I really have no idea. Is there meant to be a jet of cold air coming from somewhere, or are the seats themselves meant to get cold ?

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

My P380 has heated/cooled seats, the heating is the seat squab and the lower back and is quite warm but not as hot as others I have had. The cooling is similar, not as cool as some other cooled seats but useful in warm weather. The seats get cold, there’s no ‘jet’ of cool air.
scm

Post by scm »

Heated-only seats have electrical elements to provide the warmth. Heated and cooled seats have Peltier cells which provide heat or cold according to current flow, then the air is pushed out of the seats by fans. Nothing to do with the car's heating or aircon.

You can adjust the seats to provide heat/cold on the squab only, the back only, or both.

In my previous XKR one winter morning I accidentally set mine to maximum chill when I turned off the heat (silly touchscreen operation!) and it got very cold! I like the F-Types "real" controls.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

scm wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 am Heated-only seats have electrical elements to provide the warmth. Heated and cooled seats have Peltier cells which provide heat or cold according to current flow, then the air is pushed out of the seats by fans. Nothing to do with the car's heating or aircon.

You can adjust the seats to provide heat/cold on the squab only, the back only, or both.

In my previous XKR one winter morning I accidentally set mine to maximum chill when I turned off the heat (silly touchscreen operation!) and it got very cold! I like the F-Types "real" controls.
I am now starting to doubt if this car actually has the cooling seats, ...don't know where I got the idea from that it had them.

Is the seat heating control the same on every Ftype, regardless of whether you have the cooling functionality...i.e. the wheel turns right to red/hot and left to cold/blue ?...but with nothing happening on the cold side if you don't have the cooling feature ?

Also, where is that you can adjust the heating between squab and back as you say ?
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I got the build spec sheet - it will say either heated seats or climate seats
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

OK, how do I get the build spec sheet / from where ?
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I just sent to Jaguar Customer Care and they sent it to me in a couple of days, just gave them the VIN.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
scm

Post by scm »

Duvetday wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 am Also, where is that you can adjust the heating between squab and back as you say ?
Mmm, nothing in my handbook about that - I may have got confused with my previous XKR. I'll check when I next use the car.

Regarding cooled seats, AIUI, if you have perforated leather you'll have the Peltier technology for hot and cold.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

OK thanks, has perforated leather.

Managed to get a vague cold sentation out of the seat today, but only after about 5 mins motorway driving and with aircon on Lo.

Still not sure if having the aircon on is a prerequsite.

Don't really understand what witchcraft is causing this cold sensation but it seems to be working a bit.

Would be interested to hear if anybody else notices a more profound cooling effect from this option.

Perhaps it will be more noticable on a hot sticky day in summer.
scm

Post by scm »

Aircon has nothing to do with the cooled seats - they're cooled (and heated) by Peltier cells and fans. I find it most noticeable on my back.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post