Creaking performance seat backs?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Good to hear I'm not alone. Not fixed yet. Had an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at but had to postpone it. Will have the dealer check it in some 10 days and will let you know the verdict.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

Mikeyf

Post by Mikeyf »

Jaguandy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 pm Might be creaking against the panel behind. Try the seat set forward a bit, does it still creak? If it has stopped, reset your seat and put some felt trapped behind the seat back, works for me.
I got some sticky-backed felt and stuck it on the back.... all quiet now 😀
MY2015 V8 R Coupe
Metallic Black with Black Pack, Black Wheels, Black Leather & Black Callipers.
Debadged apart from black leaper.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Just realised I never reported back on this.

The dealer fixed a bunch of other little things but didn't seem to be able to solve this. Just said that it could probably be solved by sticking some foam between the inserts and the leather. So it doesn't seem like there's an established solution to this.

I'm going to see what I can do with some felt tape...
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
el-te

Post by el-te »

Thanks for reporting back.

I've noticed when squeezing the silver inserts with your fingers between the front and the back they'll make the creaking sound. There's some flex and feels like plastic parts rubbing together, which made me think it's a common issue, but there hasn't been many others on here report the same - it's a curious one!
el-te

Post by el-te »

@MajorTom

I’ve just applied some silicon spray lubricant to the area where the silver plastic trim meets (and rubs) against the black plastic seat back and it seems to have sorted it. I’ve only just applied it so time will tell!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Just tried too and it seemed to help for a few seconds but then started creaking again. Maybe need to add more. How did you apply it - just from the outside from behind?

If one knew how to remove the whole silver bit one could just line the inside edges with felt tape...
el-te

Post by el-te »

Yeah, applied it from behind the seat, a few squirts of “3-in-one High Performance Lubricant with PTFE” with the straw attachment directing between the seat back and silver insert, then wipe any residue and obviously being careful not to get any on the leather.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

And is it still silent? Not that I think it really should make any difference but I tried with silicone. Might give it a go with my PTFE spray too.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Problem solved! Sprayed in some PTFE and the creaking is as good as gone! Silicone spray didn't help but PTFE apparently did.
el-te

Post by el-te »

MajorTom wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 pm Problem solved! Sprayed in some PTFE and the creaking is as good as gone! Silicone spray didn't help but PTFE apparently did.
Awesome! Glad it solved it for you too! :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post