Creaking performance seat backs?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

The upper back rests of both my performance seats creak a bit when you push them while getting in our out of them. I'll have my dealer look into it but was wondering if I should expect the "they all do that sir" answer. Did anyone else experience this?
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Might be creaking against the panel behind. Try the seat set forward a bit, does it still creak? If it has stopped, reset your seat and put some felt trapped behind the seat back, works for me.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

You can also try a bit of foam up the back of the seat. I could not get felt in there but managed with the foam and a ruler to push it up. you can buty it from amazon for a couple of pounds. I Laos had a squeak from the seat bolster and traced it to the plastic covers on the outside of the seat. There is a dimple on the inside of the outer plastic cover which squeaked when you put pressure on the seat bolster. Put a piece of foam between the dimple and the seat frame and works a treat, The seat belt can also cause a lot of squeaking on the seat when driving where it meets the seat just below the headrest. A small piece of velcro solved that but I am going to try felt to see if that works. Squeaks can drive you mad.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Good tips there. Nope, they're not pushing against the panel behind - there's space between the seats and the panel. It's clearly a creak from the upper part of the seat backs which doesn't really occur while driving, just when you lean back / push your back into the seats when you sit in them. Hmm... will have to see that the dealer says about it then.

Otherwise I'm utterly impressed by how solid the interior is. No squeaks or rattles at all, not even when driving on uneven road surfaces or cobble stone streets.

The only minor thing would be that I hear a faint buzz somewhere around the B pillar when the engine is at full chat around 4k rpm with the exhaust valves open. Thought I had tracked it down to the push button for the seat belt leather strap but adding felt tape inside the button didn't help so it seems to be something else.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

After some more prodding and poking it actually seems to be the silver inserts. If you grab an insert and push it back and forth it creaks. Think I'll see if it makes any difference if I stuff something in along the edges of the insert...
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 14.58.56.png

This might help. It is easy to cut into the pieces you want and will squish down quite nicely. I used it on my seats.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Also try some a microfibre cloth under the seat belt and see if that works just where it sits on the top of the seat. I found this after a couple of days of testing the seats. Stuck a piece of velcro in place and no squeaks.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Will have a look but am 99% sure it's the areas around the inserts. Feels like the creaking comes from the inside edges of the inserts rubbing against the leather on the front and the back panel of the seat on the other side. If I could remove them I'd probably try adding some felt tape inside them.

Just to be clear on which inserts I mean it's these:

182120746_187910389731958_3152833449104430967_n.jpg

Brendub

Post by Brendub »

It is possible that it is the insert or something else like the seatbelt causing it to creak. It took me two weeks to track down what was causing the squeaks and it was not what I thought it was. do one at a time. Getting that insert out might be tricky unless it goes into a car upholstery place. good luck and keep us posted.
el-te

Post by el-te »

Hi MajorTom, did you manage to fix your creaking seat issue? I have the exact same problem with both seats - so you’re not alone!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post