Reverse Camera

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

This morning I was driving to work listening to Burnley v West Ham via CarPlay (COYI) and when I got to my normal parking place I threw the car in reverse and the camera didn’t engage for the first time. Figured it might have something to do with CarPlay so switched off the IPhone and stopped the engine and restarted, still nothing other than the sensor, no camera. Parked it then switched off, shut everything down and then started again, still nothing. Will have a look later when I go home but anyone else come across reverse camera not engaging in reverse gear? Have I inadvertently switched something off? Is it a known fault?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Same here, maybe 1 time in 10 times the reverse camera does not come on, instead I get a graphical picture/representation of the car from above and some words that I never get round to reading as I'm busy trying to park. No idea what it it means or why this happens, but have only had my car for a couple of weeks.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

That is precisely what I got, just the graphical display no camera. Hope it is not a fault that I have to take it back in for as I’m sure replacement parts in Australia are going to be at a premium right now.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Just a theory, but maybe it is when the rear camera is obscured, maybe a drop of water on it or something. Could try putting something over the camera to test. Mine is mothballed till next weekend but I'll try then.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I doubt it's external dirt. My camera still worked when the back of the car was filthy and all I could see was mainly mud.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

It could be as simple as that as driving in it poured with rain. When I went back to the car at the end of the day the camera worked immediately. If it happens again I might check the lens - hopefully it is just that and not something more difficult like dampness getting in somewhere.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Very similar problem on my Evoque, but it's temperature related
If it's cold the camera doesn't work for the initial reverse out of drive, rest of the time perfect
I just think JLR electronics and more sensitive and prone to gremlins than other marques
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

The bit I don't understand is why we both got that overhead graphical representation of the car on the screen in place of the reverse camera.

That suggests to me that this is by design rather than a fault, but that we just don't know 'why' it flips from camera to that from time to time.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Unless that is the standard screen if the camera is t there or doesn’t kick in
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

I have not had this problem, but on my car (on the touch screen) you can select the rear camera manually without being in reverse. Next time the camera will not come on automatically when reverse is selected try putting gearbox in neutral and use the touch screen to switch the camera on, if it comes on at least it proves the camera is working and it is probably a bad connection between gear selector and camera.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post