Software update

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

My car went in for its 6th year annual service yesterday with 35k on the clock.

I was told there is a software update available and that it is something to do with the opening and closing times of the exhaust flaps.

I seem to remember reading about this and how it can affect the car aurally, so I asked for it not to be done. Has anyone any experience of this latest upgrade?
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.

Brendub

Post by Brendub »

If it is of any help, I had the software update on my car before I bought it. The main difference I notice is that dynamic switches off when you shut down the engine and you have to reengage the switch when you turn on again, The same for the active exhaust button. Previously it stayed on for at least 6 hours I think. I would have to compare mine against a car which did not have it. There are no pops or crackles in normal driving mode unless you use the paddles and keep it above 3500 rpm in 4th gear which I use sometimes just to listen to it. It still has a healthy exhaust which my neighbours have commented on as they can hear start and when I am coming down the road. I am sure someone will be along to tell you more. so in short I am not that bothered.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
scm

Post by scm »

Brendub wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 pmThe main difference I notice is that dynamic switches off when you shut down the engine ...
Not quite true - it does remember the mode but cancels it when you next switch on. You can see this as the ambient lighting starts off dynamic red before it changes to whaever colour you have the "normal mode" lighting set to. At least that's what happens in mine.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Never noticed that. You learn something new every day. :-)
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
Mikeyf

Post by Mikeyf »

scm wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:04 pm
Brendub wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 pmThe main difference I notice is that dynamic switches off when you shut down the engine ...
Not quite true - it does remember the mode but cancels it when you next switch on. You can see this as the ambient lighting starts off dynamic red before it changes to whaever colour you have the "normal mode" lighting set to. At least that's what happens in mine.
Does it remember Rain&Snow mode? Or forget this too?
MY2015 V8 R Coupe
Metallic Black with Black Pack, Black Wheels, Black Leather & Black Callipers.
Debadged apart from black leaper.
scm

Post by scm »

Mikeyf wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 pm Does it remember Rain&Snow mode? Or forget this too?
Interesting question to which I have no answer - I've never used it! And my handbook is silent on the subject - I guess it'll have to be tested..
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

As a matter of interest does anyone have any thoughts regarding the reason for this software update?
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Glaf wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:29 pm As a matter of interest does anyone have any thoughts regarding the reason for this software update?

My guess would be emission testing, in the same way that stop/start has to be defaulted to ON. Soon speed limiters will be mandatory and defaulted to ON too.
Fez

Post by Fez »

You might want to check if your dynamic mode has changed to comfort setting rather than the factory setting. An your valves will open around 1500 instead of tick over...if it H236 then avoid having it done would be my advice.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
scm

Post by scm »

Fez wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:34 pm You might want to check if your dynamic mode has changed to comfort setting rather than the factory setting. An your valves will open around 1500 instead of tick over...if it H236 then avoid having it done would be my advice.
I've had H136 done and the valves open at tickover in dynamic mode, but around 1500 in non-dynamic when the exhaust switch is on. That behaviour seems to vary between cars, possibly by MY. And, as Fez said, when it was done, my dynamic mode settings were all set to Normal, but pressing the Factory Setting icon restored them all. Didn't noticeably affect the noise, or the pops and crackles, though - I can still be a hooligan.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post