SIM not supported?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I can see that this has been more or less discussed in various threads but can't see any definite explanations, so time for a new thread methinks.

I got a new, active, mobile data SIM card from a local mobile operator, put it in the car and just got "SIM not supported" when trying to enable mobile data in the connectivity settings. It's correctly inserted of course

Took the SIM out, put it in an old mobile phone and removed its PIN (read somewhere that might help). Put it back into the car - still "SIM not supported".

Took it out again, put it in the phone again and double checked that it was active and working by calling another phone using the card. That worked fine. Back in the car it still says "SIM not supported".

I've seen that some of you guys in the UK had issues with other operators but got it to work when using a SIM from 3.

Other discussions on here and elsewhere suggest that the SIM reader may be goosed.

In case it may matter, the car was built for the German market and I'm pretty sure it previously had some German SIM. The SIM I'm using is from a Luxembourgish operator.

Thoughts? Anything else I should check or try before I bring it up with the dealer? :?:
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I think there is a difference between a mobile sim which supports phone calls and data, and a data only sim for tablets etc. I was told only a “data only” sim would work.
ayrejc

Post by ayrejc »

I had the same issue and i found that it was solved when i used a proper sim adapter not the cardboard multisim packing that it came with. I purchased a cheap nano to micro sim plastic hold and it solved my 'sim unsupported message' for a sim card that i knew worked in my phone. Yes I agree i prefer a data only sim but my phone sim does work as well with a proper holder

Hope this helps
MY18 F Type 400 Sport Coupe RWD Satin Chrome Orange
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Not sure what the sim adapter is for? Doesn’t your micro sim slide straight into the car?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Fez

Post by Fez »

Cars are mirco sim holders where new sims are nano ie smaller still. So you need holder to make it look like micro. However not sure if new cars have been updated.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I see. I asked for a micro sim but maybe it is different in Oz to the UK?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

No adapter issues here as far as I can see. The SIM came in plastic multisim packaging. Basically a nano SIM inside a micro adapter, inside a full size adapter. All pretty sturdy credit card like plastic. The SIM is inserted using the micro adapter and I can't imagine how it would fit any differently with any other micro adapter - the one that came with the SIM looks about as thick and sturdy as any other nano-micro adapters.

186524166_1614495235407270_2312533159923235442_n.jpg

Hmm, so could the issue be that the SIM also supports calls? I've seen for instance here that people have been successful with data only SIMs.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1650&start=10

According to ayrejc though it should still work with a SIM with both call and data capabilities....
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I have 3 (three.co.uk) pay as you go sim on the 1-2-3 plan which supports calls, texts and data. I top up about £10 every 6 to 8 months.
The car recognises it as a 3 SIM as the network provider.
I did originally try a virgin media sim but that wouldn't work. 02 also worked.

Unsure on non UK markets though.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Fez

Post by Fez »

Hi SimpleR 400s run better on 3 network 😀
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Fez wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 am Hi SimpleR 400s run better on 3 network 😀
LOL maybe it is the AWD 😂