SIM not supported?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:53 am I think there is a difference between a mobile sim which supports phone calls and data, and a data only sim for tablets etc. I was told only a “data only” sim would work.
Not true in my experience - I use a standard Giffgaff SIM and it works fine.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

scm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 am
GusA wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:53 am I think there is a difference between a mobile sim which supports phone calls and data, and a data only sim for tablets etc. I was told only a “data only” sim would work.
Not true in my experience - I use a standard Giffgaff SIM and it works fine.

I stand corrected! Just what I was told when I collected the car as it had (still has) an Ubigi sim in it, was told some owners had issues with Ubigi. Mine’s been fine and as it’s included with the car with no additional cost (500Mb/month) I don’t fix things that aren’t broken!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Ok, so another example of that cards also supporting calls and text should work.

The SIM I got has 1 GB of data per month which now sounds like an overkill. Barely costs anything though and I only got it to try things out to see if it's worth it.

Sounds like I need to raise this with the dealer before going through the hassle of trying out other cards.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
ayrejc

Post by ayrejc »

MajorTom wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 am No adapter issues here as far as I can see. The SIM came in plastic multisim packaging. Basically a nano SIM inside a micro adapter, inside a full size adapter. All pretty sturdy credit card like plastic. The SIM is inserted using the micro adapter and I can't imagine how it would fit any differently with any other micro adapter - the one that came with the SIM looks about as thick and sturdy as any other nano-micro adapters.

186524166_1614495235407270_2312533159923235442_n.jpg

Hmm, so could the issue be that the SIM also supports calls? I've seen for instance here that people have been successful with data only SIMs.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1650&start=10

According to ayrejc though it should still work with a SIM with both call and data capabilities....
OK looks fine and worth a go. Just for guidance my individual case was that I got sim unsupported when using the exact same set up of the sim straight out of the packet but when i put the nano sim in a micro sim adapter it worked. Not saying it the definitive answer but just what worked for me. Assume that the sim has been activated in a phone for example first?
MY18 F Type 400 Sport Coupe RWD Satin Chrome Orange
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

I've give up trying to get a sim to work

any easy way of proving it's the car's sim holder or not?
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

ayrejc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:59 pm
MajorTom wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 am No adapter issues here as far as I can see. The SIM came in plastic multisim packaging. Basically a nano SIM inside a micro adapter, inside a full size adapter. All pretty sturdy credit card like plastic. The SIM is inserted using the micro adapter and I can't imagine how it would fit any differently with any other micro adapter - the one that came with the SIM looks about as thick and sturdy as any other nano-micro adapters.

186524166_1614495235407270_2312533159923235442_n.jpg

Hmm, so could the issue be that the SIM also supports calls? I've seen for instance here that people have been successful with data only SIMs.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1650&start=10

According to ayrejc though it should still work with a SIM with both call and data capabilities....
OK looks fine and worth a go. Just for guidance my individual case was that I got sim unsupported when using the exact same set up of the sim straight out of the packet but when i put the nano sim in a micro sim adapter it worked. Not saying it the definitive answer but just what worked for me. Assume that the sim has been activated in a phone for example first?
Yep, it was active from the get go and I also checked that using a phone.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I've had a problem with a sim in a phone, fixed by putting a little rectangle of paper on top of the sim, to improve the connection pressure.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Jaguandy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 pm I've had a problem with a sim in a phone, fixed by putting a little rectangle of paper on top of the sim, to improve the connection pressure.
That's a good tip. In my case it seems to fit pretty tight but I guess making the SIM a bit thicker by adding for instance some tape on one side could help if it sits too loosely.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Be careful with adding things to the sim as they can get stuck inside the slot.
I've never had an issue with the sim being "lose".
If it's put in properly and the right way round it shouldn't need anything else.
A common fault is people not pushing it in far enough until it clicks.
To release it you need to push it in again until it clicks and then it will pop out far enough to be removed.
A thumbnail or in the UK a 5p piece is good for loading/unloading it.
scm

Post by scm »

PhilB wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:24 am A thumbnail or in the UK a 5p piece is good for loading/unloading it.
If you're driving a Jag you won't know what a 5p piece is ... maybe get the staff to help. :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!