Drive the f type more often !!!!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Amyzoe

Post by Amyzoe »

Just a word of of warning !!!
Hadn’t used the f type for a couple of months and was of for a weekend away,filled up with tesco premium and of we go
Driving for about 30 minutes then the car starts stuttering with a white smoke bellowing out from the exhaust and a strong smell of petrol.
Stopped as quick as I could as also had a flickering engine management light
Called AA and waited,while waiting tried it again and all seemed ok,so cancelled AA and carried on with no problems.
I can only put this down to bad petrol that was 2 months old and as soon the good stuff came through every thing was good all weekend.
Note to self ...... DRIVE THE F TYPE
MY 2014 v6 s convertible
White

CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

Have not bohthered with my cars because they get driven, but the Triumph TBird 1600 gets a full tank of premium and a good dose of stabilizer before going to bed for the Winter here in the frozen Northeast USA.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
scm

Post by scm »

What was the "bad petrol"? Was it inferior to Tesco Premium? I've left cars for many months and never had issues with fueling. Flat batteries and stuck brakes (not in the Jag!), but never fueling! I always use expensive Shell petrol, because she's worth it. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Amyzoe

Post by Amyzoe »

The bad petrol was tesco premium,I can only presume it went off in the two months !!!
Like you,I have never had this problem even with tesco,unless it was something else?
MY 2014 v6 s convertible
White
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Fuel going off in 2 months to cause those issues doesn’t sound likely.
Fingers crossed it wasn’t a fuel injector sticking open then coming back to life.
They do usually fail outright though - with very similar symptoms.
You did right to pull over sharpish - overfuelling can cause piston lock and petrol in the oil system.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Tel

Post by Tel »

Amyzoe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:17 pm Just a word of of warning !!!
Hadn’t used the f type for a couple of months and was of for a weekend away,filled up with tesco premium and of we go
Driving for about 30 minutes then the car starts stuttering with a white smoke bellowing out from the exhaust and a strong smell of petrol.
Stopped as quick as I could as also had a flickering engine management light
Called AA and waited,while waiting tried it again and all seemed ok,so cancelled AA and carried on with no problems.
I can only put this down to bad petrol that was 2 months old and as soon the good stuff came through every thing was good all weekend.
Note to self ...... DRIVE THE F TYPE
This doesn't indicate 'bad' petrol at all - If you want to check your petrol, simply remove the filler cap and you will soon tell of the petrol has 'gone off' or bad. It's a totally different smell to the fresh petrol smell at the pumping station.
The F-Type fuel tank is pressurised so don't allow fresh air to vent in and out as in many other ICE setups. A couple of months is fine.

If you are smelling petrol while driving, then the engine is not burning it correctly and it's coming out of the exhaust;
  • Two areas of concern, either (as mentioned a sticking injector in the open position, flooding out of the exhaust port of the cylinder head and running through the cat and out of the exhaust
  • It may be a coil pack breaking down. This again would allow unburnt fuel to exit the exhaust.
It's a sure sign that something is not happy - Short term, take the car for a good thrash (high RPM, high load), if it's behaving OK now...any tarnish around the injector should clear, and run some high PEA injector cleaner through the system if you haven't already. I run the Techron, but will try Red lIne next year.

download (1).jpeg

download.jpeg

2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

This can be applied to any car. Even my Honda when it's been standing for more than a week feels sluggish, noisy when driven. Key on these mechanical devices is that they must be used. I don't think EV's will have the same issues - it's a motor after all.
But cars need to be driven.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Oh I don’t know - my Christmas lights often play up after having been left from last time 😉
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Fez

Post by Fez »

A word of warning if you read you manuals it clearly states do not put fuel additives in your jaguar. Obviously some brands of petrol have more additives than others. I am not convinced your petrol has gone off.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Amyzoe

Post by Amyzoe »

Thanks for the replies,it got me thinking that the fuel that was in the car before filling up could of been 4 months old,I have used the car in the last 4 months but not a lot due to knee surgery.so would 4-6 month old fuel cause this problem ???
MY 2014 v6 s convertible
White

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post