Battery finally died.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

My 2014 V6 started coming up with “Low Battery Start Engine” messages after switching it off. I tried a recovery procedure with my smart charger, but it kept faulting.

So bought a new battery. Went for a Yuasa hsb019 from Halfords. £153.

Easy to fit. Hardest bit is getting the earth connector off as it’s a bit tight at the back.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.

rjmlondon

Post by rjmlondon »

If the battery is replaced or disconnected, is there a reset required?
2015 F type R
Qatar
Polaris White
Carbon Fibre and black out
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Technically yes. There is the BMS (Battery Management System) that varies the rate of charge according to driving. It can be reset with a diagnostic tool. I haven’t done mine yet, but when it goes in for its new alarm sounder in a couple of weeks I’ll ask them to do it.
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

So, does the BMT need resetting by a dealer each time the battery is disconnected?
What happens if both new and old batteries are jumpered together before disconnecting old battery?
Will that likely avoid the problem?
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
Tel

Post by Tel »

FWIW - I spoke with Tayna batteries regarding a replacement. Two things that I specified was the battery would be stood for a long time (as I work away) and the fact that I have had the Stop/start function disconnected since day 1.

They maintain to use the same technology, AGM and recommend Exide. https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/e ... 0/?sai=117
That said I've always held Yuasa in high esteem - they used to always be the benchmark for cold crank amps that others could never seem to meet, certainly for bike batteries.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

I've never been let down by Varta, and I like the name. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

rjmlondon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:07 am If the battery is replaced or disconnected, is there a reset required?

The Battery Management Sensor only needs to be reset when a new battery is fitted, not when re-fitting the same one. It can be done by any JLR dealer with their diagnostic kit, possibly by independents too, no idea what the implications are of not resetting it.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

As above. The reset is only so it knows it’s a different battery and adjust/learns charging pattern. Not required for disconnect and reconnect.

Changed mine in the Evoque and same system but research shows that even if you don’t do it the car does it’s own reset at max 6 month interval.
Was busy with house moves, Covid restrictions and it reset itself after 5-6 weeks, so wasn’t a job to have rushed :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

As said, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t do it, the car will adapt eventually. The reset just sets it back to a base value and it learns from there.

If you plug a voltmeter into the accessory socket and go for a drive, you will notice that the volts will be up around 14.5 - 15.5 v depending on temperature and state of charge and load on the battery. When you lift off the throttle and coast, the volts will increase slightly, and when you a accelerate they will decrease. This is the smart charging increasing or decreasing load on the alternator to suit the needs of the engine. It’s more efficient to charge the battery on deceleration than it is to charge it when power is needed to accelerate the car. It will only do this when the battery is nearly fully charged.
Tel

Post by Tel »

GARETH wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm As said, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t do it, the car will adapt eventually. The reset just sets it back to a base value and it learns from there.

If you plug a voltmeter into the accessory socket and go for a drive, you will notice that the volts will be up around 14.5 - 15.5 v depending on temperature and state of charge and load on the battery. When you lift off the throttle and coast, the volts will increase slightly, and when you a accelerate they will decrease. This is the smart charging increasing or decreasing load on the alternator to suit the needs of the engine. It’s more efficient to charge the battery on deceleration than it is to charge it when power is needed to accelerate the car. It will only do this when the battery is nearly fully charged.
Not quite...

The only 'smart' thing about the charging is that the regulator on the generator changes the field winding (thus output current), depending on the measured system DC voltage. If the voltage is low, it increases the current and vice versa. It is not speed nor acceleration/de-acceleration dependant.

Think you're confusing with regeneration on an electric or PHEV perhaps? F- types just don't do that....yet!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩