Sat Nav update question?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

I know it’s a tired old question about Sat Nav card but I like the system and want to use the screen in the car for navigation as I don’t seem to have apple play etc.
The Satnav works well and am amazed it shows current road works on the routes but does not seem to have been updated since 2016 when the card was uploaded with maps.
Sometimes the route chosen is rather odd and call me cynical but I wonder if the glitches may be in built to persuade us to pay for the updates.
At £80+ for an update on the SD card has anyone noticed it is actually better performing in that you end up in less fields or narrow roadways .... I am willing to invest in updating maps if it is actually worth it... if only to stop the Minister for War looking at me over the top of her waze app with that ‘I told you so’ look....

I need to restore her faith in the dream cars Satnav ....as God forbid I end up stopping and asking for directions (that’s just plain weird)
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I have to say I gave up on the standard system and use my Tom-Tom.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

NavigatorNI wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 pm I have to say I gave up on the standard system and use my Tom-Tom.
So was that based on the poor performance of the Nav system? Updates would not have saved it in your opinion ?
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

For me, I guess the main reason was that my Tom-Tom included all the "safety" cameras and lifetime map updates with the package. Generally a new update becomes available approximately every month so I know it's current. Also the Tom-Tom routes update with current traffic information, jams, roadworks etc. Maybe the newer Jag systems do this but I don't think mine does. Another benefit is that I can pre-program routes easily on my phone, which syncs with the satnav when I get into the car.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

to answer the "maybe newer Jags do this", yes they do, at least mine does. It has traffic alerts and speed cameras. I gave my TomTom to my brother as there was nothing it could do that the in-car satnav couldn't. I haven't encountered a problem with the routing in the year and a bit I've had mine, it loads promptly and for what I need it for (ie, getting me to places I'm unfamiliar with) it has been faultless. That said, it is an MY21 car, so older versions may not necessarily be as good.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
scm

Post by scm »

My MY18 has never not found where I want to go, including som enew roads which I guess it finds over the internet. Some of the camera warnings are a bit weird though, one in Romsey is on the wrong side of the road! Plus I can't update my maps anyway as I don't have a Windoze box. Or a Mac.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Mine is updated every month as still in first 3 years and it shows speed cameras and traffic well and always gets me to where I want to be. I usually set the destination from my phone and it’s in the car when I start up which is also good. However, it regularly tries to take me down narrow lanes for no good reason! I’ve tried using waze/google maps via CarPlay but there is a latency/delay with the system so the map position is behind where you actually are, so I’ve missed a few junctions! Now back using the Jag system and ignoring instructions to turn into unclassified roads!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Having the newer system to the OP, but like above, I update the maps once every couple of months. (I purchased the 3yr map update option when car got to 3yrs old).

I find it pretty good other than the unclassified roads it likes to take. Presuming the defender and ftype maps and calculations are the same! I did actually abandon a journey and appointment in Hampshire as I'm not convinced it was even a farm track, more of a clearing through some woods which lasted for miles and miles!

So back to OP, I would say updating maps might add the missing roads but won't help with some odd routes it might suggest.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

The satnav in Australia includes safety cameras etc. on the in built Jaguar one. The only thing it doesn’t do that my Waze does is Waze verbally tells me about the camera where the Jag one beeps.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

So a naive question - it seems the fitted Satnav works to varying degrees of effectiveness. I like to use the screen rather than have a phone or alternate (Tomtom) screen attached.
Is there a system on the market that you can attach via the USB link which will give you all singing and dancing (traffic alerts/cameras). That would be a worthwhile purchase rather than update maps as I know I will still end up on country lanes and strange routes.
I have only recently bought the car 2016 F Type S and it does not seem to have Incar apps/apple play etc just the basics ...which is disappointing as my last 2016 model had that ( but never used it!).
Can you download apps to the system?
May go sit in the car and attach phone see what it can do?
Advice welcome
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post