Apple CarPlay Upgrade

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Andy Pom

Post by Andy Pom »

Hi all,

This is my first post and despite searching I couldn't find an answer to my specific question but I apologise in advance if it's in the depths of the forums and I missed it!

I have just purchased a 2018 F-Type R which has the InControl Touch Pro system with 2 USB ports and a SIM slot in the armrest console, I've attached a couple of photos. It's a long story but I had a same year F-Type SVR which had to be sent back due to unresolvable issues, this had the same setup and had the CarPlay upgrade and I therefore presumed mine could be upgraded.

After a few emails back and forth to my local Jaguar dealer I received the following reply from Jaguar UK:

Thank you for your apple car play query.

I can confirm I have received the below response from our product team.

This vehicle only has a Mid-Line spec NGI head unit so the upgrade would not work on this.

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely,

A***** H*****
UK Customer Experience Centre

There are retrofit kits for models up to 2017 and I know 2019 onwards came with CarPlay so if mine can't be upgraded it looks like I'm stuck.

This seems a bit odd to me but if that's the way it is I'll have to look at other options or just give up and make do!

So before I do give up I was hoping maybe somebody here might be able to confirm whether this is correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in Advance - Andy

Console.jpg

19.jpg

2018 F-Type R

scm

Post by scm »

AIUI, MY18 cars with the 10" screen (no physical buttons at the sides) can be updated to CarPlay/Android Auto compatible. My belief comes from the fact that mine (with the 8" screen) had the software update which added menu entries for CP and AA but didn't work - I think that the 10" screen versions were supported. There's a subsequent update for cars like mine to remove those menu entries, though mine hasn't received that update. Your car is not the same as mine, neither the screen nor the console cubby, so maybe try a different dealer, if you have one not too far away?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Prior to the apocalypse JLR were running updates for those with the Pro system (as you have) to upgrade the system with Carplay and AA for earlier models after it became standard on newer versions.
Due to recent events, this seemed to fall by the wayside but across the forums quite a few had it done before covid.
As to whether this is still on offer from JLR is another question.
I have heard of some with a good dealer who have still managed the upgrade.
It should also add the SOTA system update facility too.
Hopefully if restrictions are lifted in the future then it may be available again.
I would enquire with your dealer (having some faults with your system can help too ;) )
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Agree with scm, everything I’ve seen says those with 10” screens can be upgraded. What infotainment software version has your system got?
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

scm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 am AIUI, MY18 cars with the 10" screen (no physical buttons at the sides) can be updated to CarPlay/Android Auto compatible. My belief comes from the fact that mine (with the 8" screen) had the software update which added menu entries for CP and AA but didn't work - I think that the 10" screen versions were supported. There's a subsequent update for cars like mine to remove those menu entries, though mine hasn't received that update. Your car is not the same as mine, neither the screen nor the console cubby, so maybe try a different dealer, if you have one not too far away?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Yours sounds just like mine then - MY18 with the 8" system and the software version with non functioning CP and AA entries. Do you happen to know how the after market upgrade options look for our cars? Does Unique Audio have a kit for this hardware?
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

MajorTom wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 pmDo you happen to know how the after market upgrade options look for our cars? Does Unique Audio have a kit for this hardware?
I don't know as I never bothered to pursue this - I'm happy with the system as it is as it suits my rather limited demands. The US site has a very long allegedly definitive thread about the UA devices, might be worth having a look at that - they're much keener on modding than we seem to be.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

scm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:57 pm
MajorTom wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 pmDo you happen to know how the after market upgrade options look for our cars? Does Unique Audio have a kit for this hardware?
I don't know as I never bothered to pursue this - I'm happy with the system as it is as it suits my rather limited demands. The US site has a very long allegedly definitive thread about the UA devices, might be worth having a look at that - they're much keener on modding than we seem to be.
Ok, yep the US forum clearly seems to be a good place to investigate that. True, there seems to be surprisingly little modding going on here. There's also much more modding among UK/EU XF owners than here. A sign of how close to perfection the F-Type is I guess. :)
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

MajorTom wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:21 am Ok, yep the US forum clearly seems to be a good place to investigate that. True, there seems to be surprisingly little modding going on here. There's also much more modding among UK/EU XF owners than here. A sign of how close to perfection the F-Type is I guess. :)
Or how punitive British insurance companies can be when trying to insure modified vehicles ... :?
Andy Pom

Post by Andy Pom »

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses and warm welcome!

I had a feeling it was upgradeable and that I was being spun a yarn - difficult to now what to do as my dealer is unlikely to admit it now if I keep pushing!

As for software version GusA I have no menu or access to software version available. I see in the older cars there's a "hidden menu" but with the "Pro" it seems if there's no Software Update selection available it's probably because it needs upgrading so I'm back to square one.

If anyone knows if there's a hidden function or other ways to check software versions I'd be interested to know.

As you say SCM a different dealer may be the answer, when I bought the 2018 SVR last month it didn't have CarPlay but the Jag dealer upgraded it before I took delivery so it's still available but that would be a 700 mile round trip!!
2018 F-Type R
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

On mine you go to settings, all settings, software update and then it shows you the version number. Mine started with version S19C and these menus haven’t changed. SOTA needed to be ‘opted in’ by the dealer before it worked.

72A6F16C-0928-4D06-A961-9EFCEAA0A36E.jpeg

D18FB2AD-AD36-4F83-ACCD-433A8EC9769E.jpeg

605F10C6-3D98-40A7-BFA8-1D07EC8DA215.jpeg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post