Android auto

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

I know nothing about InControl Apps or Android Auto but I vageuly understand that you can get some sort of interaction between the traffic data on your google maps and the cars sat nav, and perhaps use spotify functionality (?)

I have managed to get the cars infotainment system to connect to my phone via USB, but there doesn't seem to be a spotify option under 'Music'.

And I can't find any maps options.

Also have got the android auto app on my phone, but despite that when I connect the phone to the car via USB the app does not boot up. To be honest, if it did I would be non the wiser.

Generally speaking got no idea what I am doing or what I am mean to be able to achiece.

Had the same issue on my BMW M140i and just gave up as couldn't find any info that didn't assume knowledge.

Is there any basic noddy info anywhere on any of this ?

And is it possible that my car or its software is too old/not compatible ? Is a 18 plate V6.

scm

Post by scm »

If you have an 18 plate it's probably MY19 so should be capable of supporting AA. You can confirm by checking the 10th digit of your VIN - it'll be J for MY18 and K for MY19. If you're MY18 and have the 10" screen without the physical button on each side that should also be capable of supporting AA. Like you, I don't have much clue about (or desire to use!) AA - I find the car satnav does all I need it to, and I have the smaller 8" screen which isn't AA compatible.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

OK I think I have MY19 as I don't have the physical buttons.Will check VIN later.

As with the BMW I can see myself giving up on this relatively soon. I think with the M140i it was my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 phone that was (at random) to blame for not being compatible. And it's one of those things that if it doesn't work that's it, there's nothing you can do about it.

Do you have any clue what Android Auto actually offers. Does it layer on up to date traffice info to the cars own SatNav. Or something ?!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

If you have infotainment software version S19C or later you will have CarPlay and Android Auto. When you connect your phone via USB it should revert to AA automatically and you can then use authorised apps via the touchscreen including google maps and waze etc. If you have older software you may need to get the dealer to update it.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

GusA wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:02 pm If you have infotainment software version S19C or later you will have CarPlay and Android Auto. When you connect your phone via USB it should revert to AA automatically and you can then use authorised apps via the touchscreen including google maps and waze etc. If you have older software you may need to get the dealer to update it.
Is there a way to check what software you are on ?
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Duvetday wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:57 pm
GusA wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:02 pm If you have infotainment software version S19C or later you will have CarPlay and Android Auto. When you connect your phone via USB it should revert to AA automatically and you can then use authorised apps via the touchscreen including google maps and waze etc. If you have older software you may need to get the dealer to update it.
Is there a way to check what software you are on ?
I think it depends on what software you have bizarrely, for me it’s in settings, all settings, software update but older versions don’t seem to have this item on the menu

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post