Windscreen washers (again)

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Up until recently, the windscreen washers would give a squirt on each of the first two upstrokes of the wiper blades when the button on the end of the stalk is pressed. (It then does a futher few strokes, without water, and a delayed stroke a few moments later.)

Now, when the button is pressed nothing comes out of the jets but the wiper blades do their thing as before. If I press the button again water will come out as it's always previously done.

The whole system has the feel, that if left for a period, the pipes from the pump to the jets have drained of water, where previously they retained the water. It feels like it needs at least two presses on the button for it all to recharge and pressurise to get water to the jets and then the windscreen.
My main concern is the wiper blades scratching their way across the windscreen when dry.

Anyone experienced anything similar or ideas on what might be going on?
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Sounds like the non return valve is leaking back.
If still under warranty get it booked in and sorted.
Otherwise you can access the front storage bottle and pumps (transfer and main) behind the RH front wheel well liner.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Ah, doesn't sound too bad if that's what it is. I didn't know if there was a non-return valve or the pump itself was capable of holding the pressure when not running.
Not under warranty any more so DIY time.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

It's never simple is it.

An almost identical looking 'T' piece valve can be obtained from ebay and the likes for £5 delivered. The only snag is Jaguar use smaller out pipes to the jets than 'standard', meaning a bit of buggering around to try and get it to fit and work.

Because of that I rang Jaguar this morning to see what their price would be. Circa £120 + VAT !!!! Because it comes with part of the scuttle, FFS.

They don't make owning a Jaguar easy.
scm

Post by scm »

Derivative wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:30 am They don't make owning a Jaguar easy.
You're confusing "easy" with "cheap". ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Also have a look to see if the plastic pipe to the jet is kinked. I noticed this on one of my blades the other day. It kinked on the upstroke.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
Geeboy360

Post by Geeboy360 »

ImageSo had this week on my car! The drivers washer wouldn’t work at all! I took the trim off under the bonnet and found that it had worn through the washer hose where it’s been working it’s worn through against the bodywork! Rang the dealer I bought it from for a new pipe and he had had to order a whole new arm as they don’t sell the parts separately! Luckily it’s under warranty and they are sorting, just a simple annoying issue to watch out for though! Pictures attached. I made a temporary fix by getting an ink cartridge from a pen and cutting both ends of and washing it through. Pipe fits straight in both ends! 👏

B69CCC8E-715B-47A4-94C3-3AB0DB727C92.jpeg

B53C15E3-CE61-4BF6-97EF-388326BB7F36.jpeg

400 sport RWD Convertible in silver
Low n loud!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

What a strange place for it to wear.
I always move the pipe around to clean out the plastic and clear the holes but not noticed any wear.
Your fix with the stent seems to work well!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post