Steering wheel auto adjust

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Hazbean

Post by Hazbean »

My steering wheel does not auto adjust when I enter or exit the car, I have read the i manual several times and can’t seem to get it to function. It only functioned once when I bought the car but not since which makes me think I’ve messed something up or a fuse somewhere has failed. I can adjust the wheel with the knob but it doesn’t return to base when I get out of the car. Has anyone got any ideas on this please as I think I have missed something.
Thanks in advance.
F type V8 SVR
MY 19
Panoramic roof
Carbon spoiler
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Caldera Red.
Very discreet!!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Just thinking out loud, is the steering wheel position saved as part of the memory seats at all?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

And you have turned the adjuster to “set” the auto after having manually adjusted it yep?
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Hazbean

Post by Hazbean »

I’ve saved the position in the memory, I think it has to be done within 5 seconds. It doesn’t return to base when I exit the car it just stays where it is.
I set the position with the knob in auto and leave it there. Should it be set in manual then switched to auto?
F type V8 SVR
MY 19
Panoramic roof
Carbon spoiler
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Caldera Red.
Very discreet!!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yes, you need to turn it manual, set it as you desire, then turn back to auto for it to work.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Hazbean

Post by Hazbean »

So, I get in the car, close the door, turn the knob to manual, adjust the wheel position, press the memory button then 1, turn to auto, then open the door and the wheel does not move back to base position. I’ve tried it several times and the wheel does not move forward for easy exit. Is there something else I’m missing?
F type V8 SVR
MY 19
Panoramic roof
Carbon spoiler
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Caldera Red.
Very discreet!!
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

Hazbean wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:57 pm So, I get in the car, close the door, turn the knob to manual, adjust the wheel position, press the memory button then 1, turn to auto, then open the door and the wheel does not move back to base position. I’ve tried it several times and the wheel does not move forward for easy exit. Is there something else I’m missing?
Do as Lunar has said, turn knob to "manual" and adjust steering wheel to your desired position, then turn knob to "auto" (don't press any memory buttons). In the "auto" position it will then raise the steering wheel when you open the drivers door, and then lowers it back to the previous position when you close the drivers door AND turn ignition on.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
Hazbean

Post by Hazbean »

I’ve just followed your instructions ninetails and still can’t get the auto adjust to work, I think a call to the dealer may be in order if I can’t sort this. Thanks for all your inputs up to know anyway.
F type V8 SVR
MY 19
Panoramic roof
Carbon spoiler
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Caldera Red.
Very discreet!!
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

Worst case, I had it happen in mine that the auto position stopped working, manual adjustment was still possible. The whole column was replaced under warranty, hope yours is a more simple fix.
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Just playing the Devil's advocate here.
I don't know about the F-Type but on the XE "Convenience mode" which should adjust everything such as the seats and steering wheel could be turned off in the menu.
Might be worth a look under "Driver convenience" or "Vehicle settings" to see if it is there and if it has been turned off by a software update etc etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post