Whine from the rear at 95-100 km/h

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Tel

Post by Tel »

If the oil is good and there's no associated rumbling when low speed cornering, then it's most likely just teeth meshing harmonics.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

Odin

Post by Odin »

Rumor has it that it is the Cayman --and here in the states the Corvette guys-- on the highway behind us in our Jags, looking at the F Type's jaw dropping gorgeous back end and jealously swooning as they comment to themselves that they wish they had a ride that looked as perfect from that point of view...
400 Sport, RWD, Yulong White
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Lunar wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:51 pm Could well be but hopefully nothing to worry about.
I’m sure you’ll like the PS4s’s - assuming they’re not PS4’s 😉
Yes, sorry, PS4S's.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
01286p

Post by 01286p »

Noticed this today too immediately upon changing from Pirelli P Zero to Michelin PS4's.
I thought that it was because the new tyres seem much quieter.
The change in handling for the better is quite remarkable.

V6S Coupe RWD
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

NavigatorNI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:34 pm I'm interested in this too.

I've just changed from Pirelli's to Michelin PS4's and, on the first long run, noticed a slight whine from the rear. I hope it's just tyre noise from the different tyres. I had my diff oil changed last year at 29,000 miles - black but no debris. However, having read about the diff issues I was a bit concerned.

I'm going to mention it at next service which is due soon.

Please keep us informed how you get on!

Edit; Maybe I only notice it now as the noisy Pirelli's previously drowned the whine. 🙄
Following on from my earlier post; car has just been serviced, my local independent says no leakage/spraying of diff oil, no rumbling noise, therefore don't worry, whine most likely to be just natural teeth meshing noise from the mechanical lsd. In other words, exactly what Tel said :lol:
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Took a 30 minute drive with a JLR tech today to show the whining. Conclusion: definitely not normal so that'll be a new diff for me which is exactly what I expected. Also need to get a new O2 sensor which will be replaced at the same time. All in all things that I hoped to get ticked off during my warranty. I still have more than 1,5 years left of warranty so let's see how many more O2 sensors and diffs I get during that period. :P

It was quite interesting to chat with the tech chap during our drive. He's been working on JLR cars for the past 15 years now and among other things didn't have a lot of nice things to say about the ingenium engines.

Speaking of new diffs - do they usually have to be run in somehow?
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

MajorTom wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:17 pm
If I cruise at around 95-100 km/h and give it some light throttle I get a faint whining noise coming from somewhere in the back. It only seems to happen around that speed interval and it doesn't matter which gear I use. It's been like that since I got the car 2 months ago. It's really not loud and a driver with less attention to detail probably wouldn't notice. Doesn't bother me at all especially since the car is under warranty but wanted to check if anyone knows what to expect.

I'm thinking that it's rear diff related. My dealer checked it out, changed the diff oil which didn't seem to make any difference, and wants to book the car in to continue. Don't know what the dealer's planned next steps are though (try some other stuff or replace parts).

Any thoughts on what this could be?
You need to gag your mother-in-law if you are going to put her in the boot. :D
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Just to report back on this - new diff fitted and car picked up. The sound is still there but it's much less pronounced so I guess it's normal to some extent.

As said I never really thought it was an issue in the first place but was happy to get a new diff free of charge since it probably would have to be replaced sooner or later anyway.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I'm thinking of seeing about my diff whine, or whatever it is. Having done a few thousand miles more, and travelled on some very smooth roads, it's more noticeable and annoying. I usually go to an indie but with extended warranty work such as this I'm wondering about a main dealer this time because a loan car would be thrown in. Well, it was when i had a diff job over a few days on my old XFR so i imagine similar. Thoughts?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

Loan cars are at the dealer's discretion, I think, and may vary from dealer to dealer and market to market. You may also have to wait a while to find one available, they tend to get booked well in advance. But having the diff looked at under warranty is A Good Idea. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post