Whine from the rear at 95-100 km/h

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Tried posting this over at the US forum and am giving it a go here too. Sure I can't be the only one with this:

If I cruise at around 95-100 km/h and give it some light throttle I get a faint whining noise coming from somewhere in the back. It only seems to happen around that speed interval and it doesn't matter which gear I use. It's been like that since I got the car 2 months ago. It's really not loud and a driver with less attention to detail probably wouldn't notice. Doesn't bother me at all especially since the car is under warranty but wanted to check if anyone knows what to expect.

I'm thinking that it's rear diff related. My dealer checked it out, changed the diff oil which didn't seem to make any difference, and wants to book the car in to continue. Don't know what the dealer's planned next steps are though (try some other stuff or replace parts).

Any thoughts on what this could be?
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If it’s only at that narrow speed range and not gear related you would think it must be something like a half shaft / hub bearing or even a wheel needing a good digital balance.
Be interesting to know what they do next and the diagnosis.
Sounds like a good spot to notice it - hope it’s a quick thing to sort.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Yeah, will report back when I find out more about it.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I'm interested in this, I also have a very faint whine around 60-70 mph. Can't quite tell if it changes with load or not as tyre noise masks it most of the time.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Had various noises in the past that were wheel related. A slightly buckled wheel gave a low frequency rumble at around 60mph. The other one was a whine like an electrical buzzing at similar speeds, this was harder to find as it turned out to be belts in the tyre carcass failing.

By taking the wheel off and putting a straight edge across the tyre at various points I could see very slight dips and crests in patches of the tread blocks (like slight sawtooth profile). The tyres were Goodyear probably no more than 3 years old. I couldn't see anything wrong with the tyre to begin with, but it obviously deteriorated over time making it possible to spot eventually.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Odin

Post by Odin »

My new to me 400 Sport -- 8700 km? on the clock ( 5400 miles) , has a similar whine that I have just been attributing to a normal gear whine that is heard when "on power" because of the fact the car is a sports car that has the driver sitting so low and with the wheels and rear end right at one's back. I have always heard a similar whine on my shaft drive motorcycles. Such as my last Yamaha FJR1300. So I have figured it is something that it just the nature of the beast so to speak and part of the melodic delights of the F Type. Curious to know if this is not actually the case...
400 Sport, RWD, Yulong White
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Interesting input there and interesting to hear that someone else has it. Normal gear/shaft whine does sound pretty plausible. Good thing that the dealer is wants to check it further anyhow and if nothing else the car got its first diff oil change free of charge for me.

I'm aware of the diff issues that some F-Types have had but my impression is that those issues usually make a rumbling noise.

Come to think of it, my supercharged AWD XF that I had before the F-Type made a very similar faint whining sound from the front at very low speeds and within a certain low rev range. It was like that for years and I reckoned it was something normal and probably related to the front prop shaft. The XFS I had before that made no such noises but that was a rumbly noisy diesel which drowned out any faint noises.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I'm interested in this too.

I've just changed from Pirelli's to Michelin PS4's and, on the first long run, noticed a slight whine from the rear. I hope it's just tyre noise from the different tyres. I had my diff oil changed last year at 29,000 miles - black but no debris. However, having read about the diff issues I was a bit concerned.

I'm going to mention it at next service which is due soon.

Please keep us informed how you get on!

Edit; Maybe I only notice it now as the noisy Pirelli's previously drowned the whine. 🙄
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Could well be but hopefully nothing to worry about.
I’m sure you’ll like the PS4s’s - assuming they’re not PS4’s 😉
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I had a puncture in a right rear wheel so changed the PS4 for a Pirelli I had spare. (Yes I know! Seems OK though.) The slight whine that seems to be right rear didn't change.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post