Screen wash bottle

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Chrisjaglover

Post by Chrisjaglover »

Dose anyone on here know if there are 2 screen wash bottles, on a MY18 Convertible? The car went back to my supplying dealer for a warranty job. The car was also leaking washer fluid so I asked them to investigate and remedy at the same time. When they rang me to say the car was ready to collect, they said there was a leak and that the washer bottle had been replaced. The car is still loosing screen was fluid. The rear bottle in no way looks new. I have of course complained and been told by the service manager that there are 2 bottles the rear where you top it up and a second at the front of the car, and it was the front one they have changed. They have apologised and are offering to change the rear as well. I think I am being fobbed off. But want to check before I complain further. Can anyone on here answer my question please.
Thanks in advance people.
MY18 400 Sport convertible RWD Santorini black , loads of toys & noise

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Yes there is.

The main you fill up in the boot.

Then a pump sends it to a small a plastic, molded reservoir which is located in the right (front) wheel arch behind the liner. It is secured to the body and front panel with bolts.

That one has two exit routes by default, one for windscreen and one for headlights. This is where the sensor is for low screen wash warning I believe.

EDIT. Where is your leak? Last year I had a new pump because the head light washers won't working fully, a bit of drip from right side and nothing at all on left side.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Chrisjaglover

Post by Chrisjaglover »

Thanks simpleR you are a star, I think it is the rear bottle as I can feel wetness on the rear defuser (as I am slightly bigger than my cat I can’t get underneath to check fully :D ) also it looses fluid when topped up and stationery without the screen wash being used, I would assume the front bottle is supplied by the rear bottle pumping fluid to it. So with the bottle topped full to the top of the filler neck and 1 hour latter no fluid visible and the system not being used my logic is it must be the bottle itself.

Oops you already said pump sends it to the front bottle dooh
MY18 400 Sport convertible RWD Santorini black , loads of toys & noise
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Just to add to simpleR's post...

There are two reservoirs, one at the back where you fill up and one at the front behind the wheel arch.
The front one has two pumps (windscreen + headlights) and a level sensor. The rear one has one pump and a level sensor.
When the level sensor at the front detects low/no water, a message is sent to the rear reservoir which will pump water to the front reservoir provided the rear level sensor thinks there's water in the rear reservoir. The level sensors are to avoid running pumps with no water.

If a level sensor (either) stops working the whole system very quickly stops working. (This was the first washer problem I had with mine.)
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Don't know if this helps but on my old Z4 I was losing screen wash fluid rapidly and it turned put to be leaking out from somewhere in the headlight washer area. And both sides.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post