Select gear to manoeuvre message

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
DiamondWright

Post by DiamondWright »

So I picked up my 1st Jag at the weekend, MY18 3.0v6 Rdynamic and loving it. However yesterday while sat at a junction waiting to pull out it started bonging and showing the message please select gear to manoeuvre even though I was in drive. I had to put it into N then R and back to D before it would move. Has anyone else experienced this? Tia Nick

scm

Post by scm »

First thing I'd do is make sure the battery is fully charged - these cars (and most modern ones) need lots of volts to be available and if your car had been standing for a while before delivery the battery may well have dropped off a bit. Once that's been addressed we can see if the fault persists and can continue the diagnosis.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
DiamondWright

Post by DiamondWright »

SCM thanks for the reply. Battery is one of my thoughts and I'm away now until next Friday so I will find out on my return if the battery is any good, hopefully it will be.
I read something today that said it only be a problem with the start/stop system and needs a software update.
scm

Post by scm »

My V8 is the MY as yours and I've had no problems like that, although I do always turn off the stop/start as part of my start-up procedure.
DiamondWright

Post by DiamondWright »

SCM, you can turn off stop/start? I've been told it can't be done 2016 onwards as there is only 1 battery where as the earlier years had a battery just for stop/start that you could unplug. Would be very interested to hear how you do it as it is the 1st thing I switch off on all my cars!
Fez

Post by Fez »

Yes you can turn off stop/start one of the four buttons down be gear selector.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
scm

Post by scm »

I turn it off with the button, right after I've hit the starter. There are ways to permanently disable it, but I haven't done that. The US forum has lots of detail about disabling it on the later model years, not sure if it's been covered here.
DiamondWright

Post by DiamondWright »

OMG I can't believe I missed that!! Thanks chaps.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post