Headliight beam falling short

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Lunar wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:31 am
simpleR wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:29 am The nearside should project further than the offside?
Not sure on that one as there’s no adjustment required when driving on the “wrong” side of the road.
Hi, so I think there maybe different answers for different MY? I am MY18 with Jaguar LED lights.

My left side beam appears to throw longer and and higher to the near side. It looks like a different pattern against the garage wall at least.

The manual says when driving in UK to use auto as the car has auto lights. The lights do a dance up and down when switched on so presume they also do some self leveling. The manual states.....

The AFS automatically adjusts the headlight beams to suit the vehicle’s speed and weather conditions, as follows:

Country mode: A standard headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds between 48 and 110 km/h (30 to 70 mph).

City mode: A wider headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds up to 48 km/h (30 mph).

Motorway mode: A raised headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (70 mph).

Adverse weather mode: Operates when the wipers have been active for more than 2 minutes and the vehicle’s speed is below 64 km/h (40 mph).

It says to drive abroad to not use auto lights and use position 4 for when lights are required which is just manual head lights when required. From looking against the garage wall flicking between auto and manual headlights doesn't seem to change the pattern but difficult to tell.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

simpleR wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:46 am
simpleR wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:29 am The nearside should project further than the offside?
Not sure on that one as there’s no adjustment required when driving on the “wrong” side of the road.
Hi, so I think there maybe different answers for different MY? I am MY18 with Jaguar LED lights.

My left side beam appears to throw longer and and higher to the near side. It looks like a different pattern against the garage wall at least.

The manual says when driving in UK to use auto as the car has auto lights. The lights do a dance up and down when switched on so presume they also do some self leveling. The manual states.....

The AFS automatically adjusts the headlight beams to suit the vehicle’s speed and weather conditions, as follows:

Country mode: A standard headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds between 48 and 110 km/h (30 to 70 mph).

City mode: A wider headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds up to 48 km/h (30 mph).

Motorway mode: A raised headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (70 mph).

Adverse weather mode: Operates when the wipers have been active for more than 2 minutes and the vehicle’s speed is below 64 km/h (40 mph).

It says to drive abroad to not use auto lights and use position 4 for when lights are required which is just manual head lights when required. From looking against the garage wall flicking between auto and manual headlights doesn't seem to change the pattern but difficult to tell.
I think you’ll only see the difference when above 70mph when auto should be higher than manually on, tricky to do in a garage!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

GusA wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:59 am
Hammers wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:39 am
GusA wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:33 pm For abroad you don’t use the auto setting and just turn them on manually.

Is that due to some EU law? Obviously in Australia it is unlikely I would ever take my car abroad, but it is interesting if this is something that some countries have laws on. I just use Auto all the time for the lights, but high beam I don't have the auto dim so manually use it.

I have noticed my lights on the left of the car seem to project a little further which I assumed was by design.
Using manual stops the auto function going to the high position which could dazzle on-coming drivers when driving on the ‘wrong’ side of the road as the beam pattern is slightly higher to the left anyway. I imagine it’s a legal requirement in any country that your lights don’t blind other people in the dipped position from before the EU was formed.
True but I don’t have Auto high beam so never an issue.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

It’s not about auto high beam, the LED lights have an auto function on the low ‘dipped’ beam to spread the light differently as per SimpleR’s post above.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

My Evoque Had a new front bumper when new and after that the headlights pointed directly into the ground even though they are self levelling Xenon etc, so Almost certain if you had both replaced they are not setup right, If you can get them to re-adjust them, they should have been done.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
scm

Post by scm »

Philskill wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:00 pm My Evoque Had a new front bumper when new and after that the headlights pointed directly into the ground even though they are self levelling Xenon etc,
Self levelling requires the lights to have been correctly set in the first place - it has to have a baseline to self level against!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Yes that was my point exactly SCM, Self levelling, does not mean they are at the right position.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

simpleR wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:46 am

What does AFS stand for (apologies if I have missed that).

And assuming the A stands for automatic, does that mean it somehow knows to switch between those various modes ? (I cant think how it would do that unless something whizzy to do with the GPS).
scm

Post by scm »

Duvetday wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm What does AFS stand for (apologies if I have missed that).

And assuming the A stands for automatic, does that mean it somehow knows to switch between those various modes ? (I cant think how it would do that unless something whizzy to do with the GPS).
Nope: Adaptive Front Lighting System. ;)

As simpleR's post indicates it's based on speed and/or wiper user use.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

scm wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:35 pm
Duvetday wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm What does AFS stand for (apologies if I have missed that).

Nope: Adaptive Front Lighting System. ;)

As simpleR's post indicates it's based on speed and/or wiper user use.
Didn’t realise it was doing that, need to go read some more but does make me think I did believe I saw the lights move when I turned as opposed to just going straight out, is that the case?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post