Dead battery issue

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
seedy

Post by seedy »

Hi guys, I own a 2015 R AWD and my cousin, whilst doing me a favour of installing trickle charger cables onto the battery, mentioned that there was a small flash! Having finished the install, he then slammed the boot shut and job done...

This morning, I went to use the car and everything is dead... I have seen that by using another 12-volt battery I should be able to open the boot, but my question is, is there a main fuse on the battery that's he's likely to have blown and if so, where is it, please?

The moral of this story, if a job's worth doing, do it yourself!

Any and all help, much appreciated.

Kind Regards
CD

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Ah well sure was done with the best of intentions

Have you opened the car yet? I’d start there with manual key from inside the fob
From there you can open the bonnet and get to the battery charger points (RHS front)
That should enable boot release with a battery connected (or even a charger)

I’d start by removing what was just connected and get back to former state and do some tests
Battery voltage
Does ignition work, etc

Seems unlikely he blew the main breaker, rather just a short that’s drained the battery

Of course if you can’t get power to open the boot then it’s recovery services
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
seedy

Post by seedy »

Hi CJ10

Thanks for your comments...

Luckily the car was unlocked and so I was able to hook up a spare battery to the jump point upfront and this allowed me to unlock the boot. Interestingly when I tried to start the car from the spare battery, I heard a familiar clicking sound, which immediately suggested a flat battery or at least a battery with not enough power.

I decided to remove the charging leads that had been installed and found that the positive had been wired-in correctly alongside the battery clamp, however for ease of installation, he'd installed the negative onto a feed that was coming from the terminal, rather than directly onto it. Once I removed this cable, the dash lit up and I was able to start the car. It seems this feed was draining the battery, rather than charging it...

Anyway, it's all good now and once again thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards
CD
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Glad you got there and recovered well from the situation
Clearly the ‘small spark’ was the installer setting up a nice little circuit :)
Fully recharge the battery and you’re all set
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

And don't let your cousin near your car again! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
seedy

Post by seedy »

Thanks for your help... And he's now worried about the wiring he did on my Lotus! :D
Geoff805

Post by Geoff805 »

Afternoon folks has anyone an idea how to open the boot on a convertible, when the battery has been disconnected.. silly error but shut the boot whilst replacing the battery, not thinking about the electric switch... Is there a way of manually opening it... Or am I snookered
scm

Post by scm »

Open the bonnet and hook up a 12V supply to the under-bonnet terminals - that should get you enough juice to pop the boot.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Geoff805

Post by Geoff805 »

Thanks but no it doesn't seem to help still no power to open the boot...
Geoff805

Post by Geoff805 »

Ok...so I finally found the problem causing all or my issues... Leaks into the boot and blocked drain plugs have over time allowed the water to damage and corrode the Battery Terminal Fuse box which for some reason Jaguar in their infinite wisdom decided to place at the bottom of the boot well, so any bit of water or dampness can interfere with it... I've ordered a new one and will be looking to see if I can site this anywhere else in the boot so any further accidental water ingress doesn't sent the electrics haywire again.. silly design fault which has caused so many of my problems...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post