AWD V6 380PS REAR DIFF

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Stumpy72

Post by Stumpy72 »

Hi F-Type owners, I'm incredibly close to joining the gang and am off to see a 2019 AWD V6 380PS Chequered Flag addition later this week with the intent to buy, but....
I've recently discovered the car had a crunchy/vibrating rear diff at low speeds after only 15500 miles. The JLR dealer assures me that the diff has been replaced, but my concerns where more for the future, if one has gone so quickly is it likely the new one will also fail.
I've read alot on this forum about oil seals leaking ending in mechanical failure and wondered if this was going to be an ongoing issue, ok in warranty which it has 13 months left, but I'm sure out of warranty this would be very expensive.
Any advice or what to expect regarding the diff issue and ongoing ownership of an F-Type will be greatly appreciated.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've covered 31,500 miles with no issue. Regular oil changes are a must. The schedule says 4yrs or 64,000 miles but after seeing my oil I would half that.

If your buying from a Jaguar dealer then you can ask for the 2yr Jaguar extended warranty for peace of mind. You should be able to get that for free.

You can then extend it after that as a one off payment per year or 10 months interest free. At around 5yrs it should be about £979 for a year.
The extended warranty covers the diff as long as its been serviced inline with manufacturer requirements IE an oil change every 4yrs.

Of course there are lots out there so if your concerned, move on.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Stumpy72

Post by Stumpy72 »

@simpleR thanks for the info and advice I'll certainly investigate that extended 2 year warranty from the JLR dealer.
It seems a bit surprising then on a car less than 2 years old with less than the 32000 miles you have suggested for the oil change that the diff would of failed. I'll keep looking.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

It might of had a leaking seal and the dealer butchered it or just chose to replace it. Or it had a hard life. What's the reg?
Stumpy72

Post by Stumpy72 »

OV69 KJF
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Car 67166

An "O" plate so an Ex-Paragon fleet solutions car, PDI and 1st service by them on 30th Nov 2020 at 15638 miles so presume they replaced the diff as its for sale with same mileage and therefore presume it was put into storage when the 12 month lease expired.

Unable to find who had it on the lease however manager cars, demo etc are usually low mileage and handed back in 6 to 9 months whereas as this was 13 months and serviced by fleet/lease company so who knows!

Cannot find it online and unable to locate who the owner actually was.
Stumpy72

Post by Stumpy72 »

Wow, firstly thank you for your time in investigating, and you have provided a lot of information for me to consider. The sales guy at the JLR has informed me that it was originally a car owned by a manager in Jaguar but not a demo car at a dealership. Also mentioned that the Guy Salmon group has had the car at 2 of their dealerships since Jan, so again cautious that it’s been a while and nobody has snapped it up, but on the flip side we have been in a global pandemic. Key thing for me is the warranty and the car is protected from any major failures and huge bills. If the diff has been replaced and going forward I look after it, I’m hoping it will be ok. The price has been significantly reduced over the last few days along with another f-type owned by the group, and weirdly the price on WBAC has significantly increased - strange times !!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post