Essential mod - disable the symposer

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I was a bit surprised to see that this great mod isn't mentioned anywhere on this forum, so check this out:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... at-171035/

It's a really old thread and I'd say the mod should be on most F-Type owners' todo list. It's a super simple mod that eliminates the added odd engine drone inside the car and let's you hear the the good noise - the exhaust - better.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

GARETH

Post by GARETH »

This must be a later model feature? Mine hasn’t got this. 2015 V6 S.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Could be. You should be happy then, because it's a pretty pointless feature.

Hmm, at first I didn't think it was installed in any F-Type until I discovered that other thread and then thought we all had it. A bit odd if they started installing it only on later models though because the technology was there long before the F-Type was released. The X250 XFR also used to have it.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

This "sound trumpet" was on both my 2015 and 2017 V6 XE's.
Can't say I noticed it so pretty much a "so what" kind of thing.
The reason people don't do it is because it's unnecessary fannying around with the car and will probably ruin any warranty as well.
I don't see an issue with adding a bit of extra growl.
At least it's not a fake sound added through the car speakers unlike some car manufacturers we could mention.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Interesting how different views develop about such add ons
In the original Z4 such a device was only available on top end models and was a popular retrofit.

It simply fed live engine noise into the cabin with no artificial controls over it. Sound was limited by 2 foam bungs that owners variously trimmed or removed to a level they liked
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Tel

Post by Tel »

It's not mentioned for good reason - a few of us tried this 6/7 years ago, and it was a waste of time then!
It adds, nor subtracts anything from the enjoyment of either the coupé or the vert.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Could be that it makes less of a difference with a V8 because there's already more noise in the cabin but there's a pronounced difference with the V6 and I think it's a clear improvement to disable it.

To my ears it doesn't add growl at all but only a droning noise. It's literally pushing engine noise through a plastic trumpet and that's what it sounds like which just sounds rubbish compared to for instance supercharger whine or a nice exhaust note. I also found the in cabin noise borderline unpleasantly high at full chat due to the symposer noise. Now it's great.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@MajorTom: Each to their own but I won’t be doing that to the symposer on my car as I’m more than satisfied with the engine acoustics in the cabin.

The following information is taken from one of the posts in the link you provided earlier. It includes details from the Jaguar Technical Training document ‘Components and Systems – Air Intake System – Symposer.’

“Here's a description of how the V8 Symposer works, no doubt the V6 would work in a similar if not identical way:”

“Historically, automobile manufacturers have focused on reducing the level of engine acoustics within the cabin. With the introduction of the new 5.0 litre V8 engine, development engineers have deliberately accentuated the acoustic feedback into the cabin in an effort to further increase the driving experience.”

“An integral part of this development is the introduction of a symposer into the engine air intake system of the SC engine. The symposer is mounted on the rear of the engine and is connected directly to the RH intake manifold.”

“Engine order pulsations from the intake system are fed into the symposer, which picks out the pulsations that are within the target frequency range. These accentuated V8 engine acoustics are then directed into the cabin.”

“The symposer is a mechanical device that is operational when the engine is running. However, a vacuum operated valve which is controlled by the ECM (engine control module) only allows the acoustics into the cabin under certain conditions. This is to achieve the desired engine sound quality into the cabin.”

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost1553805

"The noise feedback system generates a sporty, powerful engine sound in the passenger compartment at high engine load and speed settings to enhance the driving experience."

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2426245

Taken from the ‘Autoevolution Jaguar F-Type V6 S Review’......

”There's also a sound symposer somewhere around here, but that's as relevant as the weather forecast when you're having fun indoors. That Eaton twin-vortex supercharger only has a slight whining, the rest of the noise comes from the exhaust. The revolution starts somewhere around four thousand rpm and it goes all the way up to six and a half thousand, where the next gear arrives.”

https://www.autoevolution.com/reviews/j ... -2013.html
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:28 pmTaken from the ‘Autoevolution Jaguar F-Type V6 S Review’......

”There's also a sound symposer somewhere around here, but that's as relevant as the weather forecast when you're having fun indoors. That Eaton twin-vortex supercharger only has a slight whining, the rest of the noise comes from the exhaust. The revolution starts somewhere around four thousand rpm and it goes all the way up to six and a half thousand, where the next gear arrives.”

https://www.autoevolution.com/reviews/j ... -2013.html
That reviewer obviously never found the dynamic mode switch! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:07 pm That reviewer obviously never found the dynamic mode switch! :lol:

The F-Type test car reviewer goes on to say:

“The good news is that now you can configure the various parameters of the Dynamic mode. There's an even better one: selecting the Dynamic mode no longer means that you've got loose electronics that can bring dangerous situations like in the Jaguar XKR.”

“Speaking of the Dynamic mode, you should also opt for the configurable one, which allows you to tune individual sub-systems, such as the engine, gearbox, suspension and steering.”
Last edited by RPSN on Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid