Essential mod - disable the symposer

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Nice review, can't remember reading it before. Since the reviewer also seems to appreciate a good exhaust note he'd probably have enjoyed the car even more without the symposer noise. ;) As inserting or removing the blocking plug is a 10 second job I'll probably unblock it again one day just to check the difference once again.

Speaking of the configurable dynamic mode (which probably has been discussed in other threads) did anyone notice any real differences between the options? I've been trying but can't quite feel any difference between for instance the steering wheel settings. I remember that I reacted on the same thing when I first drove an early V6S some 7 years ago.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

It’s a very in-depth review.

The reviewer seems to appreciate the exhaust sound as it is, and he isn’t too bothered about the symposer after describing it “as relevant as the weather forecast when you're having fun indoors” ;)

As you say, it’s only a minor job to insert or remove a blocking plug but for me it’s a pointless exercise as I’m more than satisfied with the engine acoustics in the cabin.

With regards to the configurable dynamic mode, I keep mine on 'Factory setup'.

You may find these links interesting.....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2521

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2034&start=20#p46049
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

For what it's worth, it looks like it isn't part of the MY21 models on the V8. I saw a thread on the US forum and took a picture of mine just now to compare - this is taken with the engine cover on and looking from the driver's side (UK)

p450-my21.jpg

MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

As someone said over at that other forum - congrats, looks like the MY21s don't have it and it seems like Jaguar finally ditched that piece. I still can't quite understand why they fitted it in the first place to the V6 and V8 cars. Just something from the parts bin back in the day I suppose.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

All ftypes pre 20/21 have it and as per Tel some of us tried with various bungs etc and it made bugger all difference.
As for taking the thing out completely thats just plain silly and time wasting when a bung will do the same.
Saying that i've got an intake and cant hear any supercharger whine over my exhaust so go figure :)
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Must be a V8 thing that it doesn't make a difference then. Sounds pretty logical to me that the super loud exhaust of the earlier V8s more or less drowns out the drone that the symposer adds. Makes it even more odd why the installed it in the V8 cars in that case. Muting it certainly makes a nice difference in a V6 car (at least it did in mine!).
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Just happened to stumble upon this in one of the Facebook groups:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x ... -a-229518/

Apparently a case of when the symposer somehow caused the engine to misfire (!).
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I'm wondering what your point is in continuing with this thread ?
You don't like the device and intend to modify it to your liking?
Fine, that's your choice.
Most on here seem pretty neutral about it and aren't bothered from what I have read.
But to dig up one post where someone says it caused a misfire on one car seems odd.
There hasn't been any posts/topics on here about this issue so I doubt it's a prevalent fault.
I don't think we need unnecessary worry about an issue posted on another forum which seems pretty "thin" at least.