In Control or maybe battery issues?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

When I bought my 16 F Type S in April it had an issue with no sat nav as I continually got the SD card not recognised etc. So as advised on here bought a replacement facia and fitted it myself in a few minutes. All functions immediately returned and a few months of happy motoring with sat nav etc working well.
Started up the car tonight for a short drive and there was no radio reception signal and my present radio stations had gone. Sure enough a quick check on sat nav gave the SD card not recognised message and for about ten mins I thought I was back to square one... Turned engine off for a few minutes and then started the short journey home. Took the SD card out etc and rebooted the system a few times and then it eventually returned. So sat nav online but no saved radio listing (not bothered)

What concerns me is the facia is only a few months old so let’s eliminate that as a probable cause ... could this be linked to battery issues? From reading the forum when the battery has a wobble you can get a variety of tell tale symptoms in the form of random warnings etc. I do not want to take this to JLR and watch them do cartwheels as another punter to be fleec3 by a simple fix.
Does anyone have ideas about what this might be - InControl probs, battery, fuses ???
Anyone have experience of random loss of Satnav and radio only for it to return again....

Prices are still going up for these gorgeous cars and I am getting emails from JLR asking to buy the car.... long may that continue!!!
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

scm

Post by scm »

I'd be inclined to give the battery an overnight charge and see if that improves things. Assuming you're on the original battery it could be getting tired after 5 years. Have you checked the battery voltage? Alternatively, you may have a bad earth somewhere - e.g. some on here have found an earth point in the front riight wheel well that gave them trouble.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

I may replace the battery just out of caution if the life starts to fade at 5 years. Any advice? Is this a simple swap out or will it require the skills of JLR ?
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
scm

Post by scm »

Jaguar will tell you the battery has to be set up in the car but folks on the US forum have replaced theirs with lighter Lithium batteries without any bother. Maybe someone will be along who can give us a definitive answer.

BTW, I don't know the life expectancy of AGM batteries, maybe they should be good for a lot more than 5 years, though I guess a lot depends on how it's been treated during its life. Any battery experts care to comment?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post