Losing preset radio stations memory

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Hi all,

A couple of times recently I've jumped into the car and found that all the preset radio stations have been lost or forgotten. This applies to both FM & DAB presets.

The car is in regular use. The battery seems fine as Auto Start/Stop works ok, usually the first sign that the battery charge has dropped a bit.

Any suggestions anyone?

20210824_180848.jpg

V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D

ninetails

Post by ninetails »

Have you touched the arrow on the screen (to the right of the 6 blank presets) which will show the next 6 presets. They might be there, if the stations were saved on this "next page", and when ignition is turned back on it might default to the "first page", which shows nothing saved. Just a guess.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

ninetails wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:18 pm Have you touched the arrow on the screen (to the right of the 6 blank presets) which will show the next 6 presets. They might be there, if the stations were saved on this "next page", and when ignition is turned back on it might default to the "first page", which shows nothing saved. Just a guess.
If only it was that simple! No, they've all disappeared. :(
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I used to have that on DAB+ sometimes on my XE with the same Infotainment system, but it would come back again after a restart - does yours come back at all or is it completely lost?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

The only time, in nearly 4 years of ownership, that I lost all preset stations is when I pressed the "refresh" icon (just to find out what it did). It did find and store extra stations to choose from, but the process wiped away all of my preset stations, so i had to reset them all. Once reset they all stayed set. You could try pressing "refresh" and then reset your chosen stations and see if they then remain. Just for reference, I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes ( for dreaded battery drain problem, after service) and when reconnected all my preset radio stations were still there.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Hammers wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:24 am I used to have that on DAB+ sometimes on my XE with the same Infotainment system, but it would come back again after a restart - does yours come back at all or is it completely lost?
Unfortunately it stays completely lost even after a restart.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

ninetails wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:57 pm The only time, in nearly 4 years of ownership, that I lost all preset stations is when I pressed the "refresh" icon (just to find out what it did). It did find and store extra stations to choose from, but the process wiped away all of my preset stations, so i had to reset them all. Once reset they all stayed set. You could try pressing "refresh" and then reset your chosen stations and see if they then remain. Just for reference, I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes ( for dreaded battery drain problem, after service) and when reconnected all my preset radio stations were still there.
I'll try the battery disconnect as the car has been serviced recently. However, as the red Hazzard light goes off after the car is locked, I thought that the problem of something disconnected from the OBD port incorrectly probably wasn't an issue.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

NavigatorNI wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 pm
ninetails wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:57 pm The only time, in nearly 4 years of ownership, that I lost all preset stations is when I pressed the "refresh" icon (just to find out what it did). It did find and store extra stations to choose from, but the process wiped away all of my preset stations, so i had to reset them all. Once reset they all stayed set. You could try pressing "refresh" and then reset your chosen stations and see if they then remain. Just for reference, I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes ( for dreaded battery drain problem, after service) and when reconnected all my preset radio stations were still there.
I'll try the battery disconnect as the car has been serviced recently. However, as the red Hazzard light goes off after the car is locked, I thought that the problem of something disconnected from the OBD port incorrectly probably wasn't an issue.
You are correct regarding the red hazard light going off when locked, and I was not suggesting to disconnect your battery, the only reason I mentioned it was because you were wondering if a low battery would cause your radio to lose the preset stations, and I was just saying that even with the battery fully disconnected for 30 minutes the radio still retained the preset stations. But if all else fails it is worth a try, as many electrical problems have been resolved by doing a battery disconnect/reconnect.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

ninetails wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:09 pm
NavigatorNI wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 pm
You are correct regarding the red hazard light going off when locked, and I was not suggesting to disconnect your battery, the only reason I mentioned it was because you were wondering if a low battery would cause your radio to lose the preset stations, and I was just saying that even with the battery fully disconnected for 30 minutes the radio still retained the preset stations. But if all else fails it is worth a try, as many electrical problems have been resolved by doing a battery disconnect/reconnect.
Maybe there's a fault with the backup battery in the media system which still retains the preset memories if the main car battery is disconnected. Anyone know where I'd look for this?
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

NavigatorNI wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:15 pm Hi all,

A couple of times recently I've jumped into the car and found that all the preset radio stations have been lost or forgotten. This applies to both FM & DAB presets.

The car is in regular use. The battery seems fine as Auto Start/Stop works ok, usually the first sign that the battery charge has dropped a bit.

Any suggestions anyone?

This also happened on mine a while ago and was simple to resolve.

Looking at your pic (attached), all I did was touch ‘Source’ then ‘DAB’ and the DAB preset radio stations reappeared. You should be able to do the same for FM preset stations.

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid