Windscreen washer front water tank

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

Hi

Only had my Ftype 4 weeks and still getting used to car. I noticed that my car keeps losing washer fluid. Seemed to be leaking from the front tank. This morning I took the wheel liner out to have a look. The tank seems to have a high level drain hole where the water is leaking from is this right?

Also I noticed it only leaks when the nose of the car is pointed down hill. My drive has a slight incline. The rear tank being higher than front tanks seem to empty. If I park car with nose higher it doesn’t happen.
2017 F Type 340 Caldera Red
2020 I Pace

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Have a look at this.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2305654

"It will either be a crack/hole somewhere higher than the very bottom of the front tank (since the fluid is still in it), or one of the grommets where the pump or sensor push into the tank is leaking....Or one of the hoses is not connected or split?"
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

RPSN wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:17 am Have a look at this.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2305654

"It will either be a crack/hole somewhere higher than the very bottom of the front tank (since the fluid is still in it), or one of the grommets where the pump or sensor push into the tank is leaking....Or one of the hoses is not connected or split?"
I can see where the water is coming from. I took the tank out. Right at the top of the front tank there is a small hole. It doesn’t look like a crack it looks like it’s meant to be there. Looks like a vent hole. Water only leaks from it when rear of car is higher than front. When car is on flat or rear is lower it doesn’t leak.

So I’m thinking

1. if hole is a vent what stops the water syphoning from front to back when rear is higher.

2. Then hole is not meant to be there and i need a new tank.

Can anyone confirm if the tank has a vent hole. Any advice appreciated.
2020 I Pace
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I believe there is a pump and valve mechanism that sends the water from the rear reservoir to the front and only when the front reservoir requests it.

I have no tools to remove wheels and liners to view the front reservoir.

Presuming your windscreen and head light washers still work OK, I am presuming the front reservoir might be OK and instead the valve or mechanism between rear and front reservoir is somehow jammed open causing free flowing water to constantly run back to front and leak out the vent hole as the front reservoir becomes over full when parked downhill.

The front reservoir part number is T2R32246 and if you Google it and go to images there are some pictures of ones for sale which might show the hole you can see.

If you need diagrams and part codes for the entire over complicated washer system then let me know.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

Hi just spoken Jaguar Maidstone and the vent whole is meant to be there. So suspect I have a controls / valve issue. If you do have more info on controls and valves around rear tank it would be appreciated
2020 I Pace
scm

Post by scm »

Could be the front sensor demanding water when the tank is already full?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

FRONT WASHER FLUID RESERVOIR:

The plastic, molded reservoir is located in the right wheel arch, behind the liner. It is secured to the body and front panel with bolts. A boss on the reservoir locates into a bracket mounted off the A-pillar casting and provides additional support.

The reservoir has 2 recessed holes in the side, which provide location for the windshield and headlamp washer pumps. The pumps are push fitted into grommets, which seal the pumps in their locations. The windshield washer fluid hose is integrated into the harness and so follow it's routing. The headlamp washer hose, from the reservoir, is routed over the wheel arch and across the body between the headlamps.

A hole with a grommet in the side of the reservoir provides the location for the fluid level sensor.

REAR WASHER FLUID RESERVOIR

The plastic, molded reservoir is located on the rear panel, behind the rear bumper cover. It is secured to the rear panel with bolts.

The reservoir has a recessed hole, which provides location for the washer fluid reservoir transfer pump. The transfer pump is push fitted into a grommet, which seals the pump in location. A hole in the top of the reservoir allows for the fitment of the filler neck. The washer fluid reservoir transfer pump hose is integrated into the harness and so follow it's routing.

A hole with a grommet in the side of the reservoir provides the location for the fluid level sensor.

WASHER FLUID LEVEL SENSORS

The low level sensors have a float, with integral magnet. Each sensor has a contact, which is normally open when the reservoir is full. When the fluid level reduces to approximately 1 litre, the magnetic float pivots down, which causes the switch contact to close. This closed circuit is sensed by the rear washer fluid reservoir transfer pump. The transfer pump will transfer the washer fluid until the front washer fluid reservoir level sensor sends a signal confirming the front washer fluid level is full.

The washer fluid transfer should take 10 seconds. If the pump is still running after 15 seconds it will be disabled for 10 minutes to protect the pump.

The Instrument Cluster (IC) monitors the fluid level sensor continuously. The IC checks the rear washer reservoir fluid level sensor when the ignition is switched on to give the driver an early warning of the low fluid level. The IC then monitors the sensor value over a 25 second period when the ignition is on to prevent invalid messages due to fluid 'sloshing' in the reservoir.

When a low fluid level signal is transmitted to the IC, a 'WASHER FLUID LOW' message is displayed in the IC's message centre. The first display of this message, or illumination of the indicator, is accompanied by a 'chime' sound to alert the driver to the low fluid level.

Here’s a post from another F-Type owner who had the same issue.....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... on-200227/

This link is for the ‘WASHERS SYSTEM PARTS’ and gives the part numbers and prices including diagrams: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

I’ve attached the TOPIx document ‘F-Type (X152) Wipers and Washers’.
F-Type (X152) Wipers and Washers.pdf
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 263 times
Last edited by RPSN on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

It's a guess but, If it were me I'd try the easier job of replacing the Non Return Valve on the rear washer tank. (item 7)

This valve will be designed to stop water returning to the rear tank, but it may need pressure from the pumped flow to open the valve, So may stop transfer of water under non pumped situations. Yours may be stuck open?

rear washer Tank.PNG

MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

Philskill wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:24 pm It's a guess but, If it were me I'd try the easier job of replacing the Non Return Valve on the rear washer tank. (item 7)

This valve will be designed to stop water returning to the rear tank, but it may need pressure from the pumped flow to open the valve, So may stop transfer of water under non pumped situations. Yours may be stuck open?

rear washer Tank.PNG
That’s what I was thinking is there a valve that would normally need pump pressure to open. If mine has failed would let it syphon when parked on an incline.

Now to work out how to get to the valve. Anyone got any ideas?
2020 I Pace
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

Ps meant to say thank you to you all for your support

Darren
2020 I Pace

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post