buyers advice/sanity check vs interweb warriors

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Markcoopers

Post by Markcoopers »

Hello,

As I continue to research my first F type purchase, I have reached the rather obvious step of googling AJ133 and AJ126 engine reliability. Accepting that this was my first mistake, what is the collective wisdom around these engines actual reliability or common areas of concern at least?

Interwebing says timing chains are the big issue, but this may well be early AJ133 engines in the RR family of cars and perhaps not effect the F type.

Lastly, the V8 cabs were rated at circa 490bhp and then in and around 2015/16 seemed to gain hike to 540bhp. Was there a number of car wide revisions at this time and how are these cars identified

For the record, I suspect I am looking at an earlier 2014 V8 cab or maybe a 2015/16 V6S cab here in the UK.

cheers,

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Limited history checks are available for free.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37264&hilit ... ter#p37264

NOTE: Original build spec from Topix no longer available however outstanding recalls, campaigns and service history still work.

Yes the original v8 (13/14 plate) were known as v8s which became v8r (15 plate) with more power and other things which became the v8r AWD from around (16 plate). Roughly. I'm sure there are lots of posts showing all the model changes.

In 4 years here on this forum, I only recall one destroyed engine which was some chap form USA who got a car from copart, fixed it himself, had a noise and had a garage tell him not to drive it, and then over filled it with oil by 2+ litres and it blow a crank. I've done 33,500 miles now in my V6 and no mechanical issues so far.

If concerned consider buying from Jaguar Used Approved stock as you get a 1yr Jaguar warranty (2yrs if you ask nicely) and can keep it going whilst car is under 10yrs old.

I would strongly suggest you go and test drive as many as possible to determine the engine, seats and trim you want.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

Timing chain issues were more of a problem in the earlier versions of the V8 in the x100 (XK8, XK and XKR), which was down to the chain guides being fragile. I've had a 4.2 V8 XKR dump its oil on the road (at 95,000 miles) and after the burst pipe was replaced and the engine refilled with oil it ran perfectly. My independent mechanic was impressed! The F-Type is my 4th Jaguar and they've all been reliable. The F-Type is easily the best of the bunch - In my experience you'd have to be very unlucky to regret buying one!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

can only agree with scm, if you consider how many f types are on the road those with issues are relatively small.
Markcoopers

Post by Markcoopers »

So I had a drive of a V6 (380) cab and a V8R coupe.

The V6 was lovely, but it did not feel overly fast. Don’t get me wrong it is fast, but within 10mins I was comfortable with the car and it never felt special. The exhaust button made a difference but even with the roof down it never really showed it’s voice….. I even suspected the valves were stuck. It did flash up a number of DSC and other warnings of no longer available systems mind. However a Cabriolet was wonderful, roof up refined and down civil.

The V8 on the other hand was unhinged. The first time I introduced the carpet to the loud pedal the wife screened and I genuinely found a new level of respect. Oh yes. This time the exhaust button made an impact as did the whole car. That said the drivers HVAC control would not change from 21, so like the V6 it had issues/character.

So up shot is V8 cabriolet please in a dark colour please with sports heated seats and cruise…. I’ll be happy. I guess I should also expect a few niggles as well.
scm

Post by scm »

You should have just used dynamic mode ... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Markcoopers

Post by Markcoopers »

I did, but again in the V6 it did not really make much of a difference except now the wheels "skipped" over some of the hard edged ridges. In the V8 it; weighed up the steering and made more road roar in the cabin, added a firmness that was never put to a corner test, and added an artificial sharpness or rather shorter input needed accelerator peddle. In both cars the gearbox wanted to hang on to a gear for more revs, but on the poor roads and a 30 min test drive I can't say I experienced a lot of difference.

V6 was a loverly car, something you could drive every day and be pleased with your choice, but the V8 felt like a "high days and holidays" sort of car and that is what I am after, a sense of occasion.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post