Is this normal

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

Duvetday wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:41 pm I mentioned this when I took the car back to the dealer around July time for MOT and service and they said that any issue with the headlight beam would have been picked up on the MOT.
What they would've checked at the MOT is that the beams aren't too high - they could still be, as you've noticed, a bit too low, which isn't an MOT fail.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 pm
Duvetday wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:41 pm I mentioned this when I took the car back to the dealer around July time for MOT and service and they said that any issue with the headlight beam would have been picked up on the MOT.
What they would've checked at the MOT is that the beams aren't too high - they could still be, as you've noticed, a bit too low, which isn't an MOT fail.
Just for reference a too low beam is also an MOT fail
It has clear percentage within a horizontal reference line for each type of beam. Typically 2.75% to 0.5%
Mot handbook headlight alignment, section 4.1.2
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

Thanks for the correction.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@Duvetday: As no issues were picked up with your car’s headlight beam when it had the MOT a couple of months ago, I would think all is ok.

If I’m driving at night time on a road that is poorly lit, I’ve noticed that the headlamps don’t throw a very long beam (this is normal). When it’s safe to do so, I flick on the high beam which is excellent.

I’ve attached the Headlamp Beam diagram.

Some further info........The height sensors used by headlamp levelling are both located on the right side of the vehicle.

The body of the front height sensor is attached to a bracket on the front subframe. The sensor link rod is connected to a pin screwed into the lower suspension arm.

The body of the rear height sensor is attached to the rear subframe. The sensor link rod is connected to a clip attached to the upper suspension arm.

If I’m working under the car, I sometimes check the height sensor link rods to ensure they are connected ok.

I’ve attached an image of the front (item number 4) and rear (item number 5) height sensors. Also a close up image of the rear height sensor (the front is similar).

1.png

2.png

3.png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

RPSN thanks.

I notice in the diagram that the difference in throw length between the offside and nearside is more pronounced than in my photo. I wonder if this is further evidence that my lights are pointing a bit short of where they should be....if they were throwing further I think that difference between sides would stretch out further (?)

All a bit too technical for me to get into adjusting. Am currently trying to get the dealer interested given they both carried out the MOT and fit the headlamps.

Would appreciate if anybody else was bored enough to take a photo of their headlamps in similar conditions to compare. :?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

When you get a chance, can you park your car on a flat (horizontal) surface, approx 3 metres away from a vertical wall or fence etc. Do this at night time with the headlights on normal main beam. Take a photo of the beams that project onto the vertical wall etc and measure the distance from the floor to them (near side and off side).

If you can post this info it will help me to give my opinion on your headlight levelling and if needed I'll explain how to adjust them (easy enough to do). I can also compare it with my own car.

Alternatively, see what the dealer can do for you?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

RPSN wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:30 am When you get a chance, can you park your car on a flat (horizontal) surface, approx 3 metres away from a vertical wall or fence etc. Do this at night time with the headlights on normal main beam. Take a photo of the beams that project onto the vertical wall etc and measure the distance from the floor to them (near side and off side).

If you can post this info it will help me to give my opinion on your headlight levelling and if needed I'll explain how to adjust them (easy enough to do). I can also compare it with my own car.

Thanks for the offer of assistance. But I took it back to the dealer who had fit the lights and done the MOT. They found that the beams were set to the lower end of the legal range which they have now adjusted to the upper end of that range.

Will go try them out soon, ....well when there is any petrol available :x
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Final synopisis is a combination of factors.

1) Lights set at lower end of legal angle limit (adjusted)
2) Diry inside of windscreen (cleaned)
3) Ridiculously bright screen on infotainment system causing pupils to contract (just a theory, and brightness turned down)
4) Not used to LED lights, which seem to be quite binary ...very bright where they shine then very dark where they cut off.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Hm... haven't driven mine sufficiently in the dark to notice any issue and didn't think the height of the adaptive LEDs should or even could be adjusted. Will take a closer look at that and maybe raise them a bit. It was quite common that XFs had their lights set too low and both my previous XFs suffered from that but that was easy to adjust.

Duvetday, are yours also adaptive LEDs (the ones that are supposed to adapt the beam pattern depending on speed etc)?
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:31 pm
RPSN wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:30 am When you get a chance, can you park your car on a flat (horizontal) surface, approx 3 metres away from a vertical wall or fence etc. Do this at night time with the headlights on normal main beam. Take a photo of the beams that project onto the vertical wall etc and measure the distance from the floor to them (near side and off side).

Thanks for the offer of assistance. But I took it back to the dealer who had fit the lights and done the MOT. They found that the beams were set to the lower end of the legal range which they have now adjusted to the upper end of that range.

Will go try them out soon, ....well when there is any petrol available :x

No probs, glad the dealer sorted it for you.

Hopefully you’ll find the headlights beam range is better.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post