Is this normal

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Glad you've got it sorted - always handy not to have to guess which way the road bends next in the dark!

I feel this is where technology comes before practicality.
Sure HID lights are a big improvement on halogen bulbs and sealed beams but the complexity of LED lights - together with auto high beam never being 100% correct - does make you wonder if it's all worth it.
I had a similar problem on dark B roads and it turned out to be the lights set to low limit - raised towards upper limit and some NightBreaker lamps fitted and it's been more than adequate on dipped and high beam.
Seeing as even an HID light unit is £1300 to replace I'm sure the LED technology ones must be more expensive and you can bet that is taken into account with insurance costs.
I'd also like to know the philosophy behind the LED beam footprint - does it for instance illuminate to the side to give warning of that cat on the pavement - not the Jag type :)
There shouldn't be a need for better than standard illumination for driving on public roads, but there's always an off-road LED bar to consider - or my favourite, being a pair of KC Daylighters complete with smiley face covers :)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

MajorTom wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:24 pm Hm... haven't driven mine sufficiently in the dark to notice any issue and didn't think the height of the adaptive LEDs should or even could be adjusted. Will take a closer look at that and maybe raise them a bit. It was quite common that XFs had their lights set too low and both my previous XFs suffered from that but that was easy to adjust.

Duvetday, are yours also adaptive LEDs (the ones that are supposed to adapt the beam pattern depending on speed etc)?
Major Tom, all I know is that they are LEDs and they have the auto high beam assist. I don't know if it has adapative ones that are supposed to adapt the beam pattern depending on speed etc. Is there anyway to confirm that as a malunction on that could also be a factor.

I think at least part of this is me not being used to LED lights....to me "normal" lights I have had previously shone a light on the ground ahead but also provide some dissipating light a bit further off into the distance. These LED ones are like having a lazer that shines to a specific point then the black hole of calcutta thereafter.

Is that how it is for other people here with LEDs ?
scm

Post by scm »

I've not noticed any adverse visibility with mine. I don't have auto beam assist, nor matrix lights, but I prefer to be in control of my lighting - I don't even use the "auto" position.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@Duvetday

You mentioned in your first post.....”I am constantly switching my high beam on because it doesn't feel safe not being able to see the road beyond (I am guessing) 20 metres ahead. I have to do this even in built up areas with street lighting”.

When using your headlights do you select the AUTO position? For the 'AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST’ (AHBA) system to become operational, the lighting control must be in the AUTO position with dipped beam headlights selected.

I ask this because you’ve said your car has ‘AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST’ and I’m wondering why it hasn’t previously kicked in as it automatically selects and deselects high beam under specific conditions of road lighting and in the absence of other vehicle lights? The system is only active when the ambient light drops below a predetermined level.

The AHBA system can be enabled or disabled in the 'Vehicle Settings' instrument panel menu. Have you checked to see if it’s enabled?

With regards to the ‘Adaptive Front Lighting System’ (AFS), it is active when the lighting control is in the AUTO position and dipped beams are selected.

If you’ve been selecting the AUTO position when using your headlights, I would think you’d have noticed if your car has AFS as it automatically adjusts the headlight beams to suit the vehicle’s speed and weather conditions, as follows:

• Country mode: A standard headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds between 30 to 70 mph (48 and 110 km/h).
• City mode: A wider headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds up to 30 mph (48 km/h).
• Motorway mode: A raised headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds above 70 mph (110 km/h).
• Adverse weather mode: Operates when the wipers have been active for more than 2 minutes and the vehicle’s speed is below 40 mph (64 km/h).

As you say, part of all this is not being used to LED lights but now that the dealer has raised the headlights level on your car, hopefully you’ll find it's better and the ‘Black Hole of Calcutta’ is somewhat brighter! :)

I have the XENON headlights and I use them in the 'AUTO' position. I don't have the 'AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST' system.

As I mentioned earlier, if I’m driving at night time on a road that is poorly lit, I’ve noticed that the headlamps don’t throw a very long beam (this is normal). When it’s safe to do so, I flick on the high beam which is excellent. However, I may slightly raise the headlight beam level so that the dipped main beam projects further.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

I have the auto high beem assist. But I find that it switches the high beam on about half a second after I actually need it so I constantly override it.

I've never noticed the throw of the dipped beams change in different driving conditions so perhaps I don't have AFS.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

RSPN, could you maybe post a photo of your beam ?
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I do wish for a left foot dip switch like we had in our Morris Minor I think it was.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

And a floor operated windscreen washer? :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:29 pm I have the auto high beem assist. But I find that it switches the high beam on about half a second after I actually need it so I constantly override it.

I've never noticed the throw of the dipped beams change in different driving conditions so perhaps I don't have AFS.

Have you managed to check the headlights beam level since having them adjusted by the dealer.....they should be ok now?

Doesn’t seem like your car has AFS?

Duvetday wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:35 pm RSPN, could you maybe post a photo of your beam?

Here’s a recent photo of my headlights beam measurements. The car was parked on a flat (horizontal) surface, 3 metres away from a vertical fence. Can you post a photo of yours using the same measurement positions against a fence or wall etc. Bearing in mind that I have the XENON headlights.

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

OK thanks will do. Home parking location not flat so next time I dig the car out in an evening I'll do this in a car park somewhere.

I can already see that yours is the same as mine in that there is a very bright section then very dark. I've never consciusly noticed this on any other car. Either I am just getting OCD about it or it is a 'feature' of FType LED lights.

As far as the AFS, is there any way to check if I have or don't have that option so that I can rule out a malfunction on it ? Perhaps there is an on/off setting for this.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post