Is this normal

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:40 am OK thanks will do. Home parking location not flat so next time I dig the car out in an evening I'll do this in a car park somewhere.

I can already see that yours is the same as mine in that there is a very bright section then very dark. I've never consciusly noticed this on any other car. Either I am just getting OCD about it or it is a 'feature' of FType LED lights.

As far as the AFS, is there any way to check if I have or don't have that option so that I can rule out a malfunction on it ? Perhaps there is an on/off setting for this.

Ok cheers.

The bright and dark sections shown on the fence (see earlier pic) are similar to other cars I’ve owned so this is nothing unusual.

Just checked and LED Headlights feature the ‘ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM’ (AFS) so your car should have this. The 'AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST' (AHBA) system is optional.

Unlike 'AHBA', as far as I know the ‘AFS' cannot be disabled or enabled via the Vehicle Settings instrument panel menu. Perhaps other members who have LED Headlights can confirm?

The ‘AFS’ is active when the lighting control is in the 'AUTO' position and dipped beams are selected. The ‘AFS’ deactivates when high beam is selected, when dipped beam is not operating in 'AUTO' mode, or when the vehicle’s transmission is in Park (P).

Note: LED headlights reach further into the darkness than previous generation units, producing a highly focused beam of light with a quality closer to daylight, helping your eyes distinguish objects more easily and reducing fatigue.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

scm

Post by scm »

I've had a play with Auto in the dark and haven't noticed any different in the beam pattern at the advertised speeds, so assume I don't have it in my MY18.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

scm wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:48 pm I've had a play with Auto in the dark and haven't noticed any different in the beam pattern at the advertised speeds, so assume I don't have it in my MY18.
Is yours LED ?
scm

Post by scm »

Yes. I thought that was implicit in the fact that I felt it helpful to comment.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

On pages 14 & 15 of the F-Type 18MY and 19.5MY brochures, it shows that LED Headlights are Optional on F-TYPE, Standard on F-TYPE R-Dynamic, F-TYPE R and F-TYPE SVR.

It goes on to say....” LED headlights feature Adaptive Front Lighting. It automatically provides the best possible illumination by adjusting the low beam according to your speed and the weather conditions.”

It gives details on the Adaptive Front Lighting ‘City Mode’, ‘Country Mode’, ‘Motorway Mode’ and ‘Bad Weather Mode’.

Auto High Beam Assist is shown as ‘Optional’.

See screenshots.....

1.png

2.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

And in my MY18 I haven't noticed any difference in the beam pattern at the various speeds. Maybe it was added in later MY18 cars, mine was a very early one.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

That maybe the case?

In the MY18 and MY19.5 brochures, it shows the F-Type 'Adaptive Front Lighting' feature was included in.....“It’s new LED headlights”.

According to the following link, the LED Headlights on your car are the earlier generation (not mentioned in these brochures) which only adjust for weather condition i.e. fog, rain etc?.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2004524

This is your reply.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2004940

Would be interesting to know if F-Type owners with the LED Headlights and ‘Adaptive Front Lighting’ have noticed any difference in the auto adjustment of the low beam according to the vehicle’s speed and the weather conditions i.e. ‘City Mode’, ‘Country Mode’, ‘Motorway Mode’ and ‘Bad Weather Mode’?

As the OP is unsure whether or not his car has 'Adaptive Front Lighting', perhaps this could also be checked in the vehicle's TOPIx details if he has access?

@Duvetday: Now that the dealer has adjusted your headlights to the upper end of the legal range, they should be ok? Hopefully you’ll be able to test them out soon.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

As previously noted, I haven't noticed any difference in beam pattern on the few occasions ai've ried Auto mode - and I've never driven in fog so can't comment on how they behave in that circumstance.
Last edited by scm on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Appreciate the input.

As stated by member DGL on the jaguarforums.....

“I purposely wanted a 2018 because of the new modern LED lights. I also sold my 2011 XKR 175 to get a 2013 XKR because I wanted the, new then, LED daytime running lights and new design. LED head lights are far more adaptable than previous non-LED HID headlights. The next generation of LED headlights will be more intelligent to identify on-coming cars and objects, track these objects and spot dim the objects as necessary without compromising the beam. The LED head lights now adjust for weather condition (fog, rain, etc.). A mechanical positioning mechanism could easily have been built to position the lights to respond to steering etc. I think Jaguar built the first generation LED headlights to be dumb to save on costs and the following generations will be more intelligent as the LED headlight generation evolves. Unfortunately, I don't think the first generation LED headlights have corning lamps and are limited in adaptability.”

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2004524
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

I never found the cornering lights to be particularly useful on my previous XKR, although they were done properly, not like the abomination you see on VW cars. Mine were built into the headlights and only came on when the lights were on (i.e. when it was actually dark!) and didn't look like I needed half my front fog lights on in sunny conditions to help me see the corner into which I was turning. Now that's a dumb, cost-saving way - German under-engineering?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post