Convertible Roof Fault

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Evening all,

We had a lot of heavy rain Monday night and on Tuesday I took the car out, tried to retract the roof.

Roof opened slightly and just stopped. Couldn't close/open.

I managed to carry out the manual closing using the tools. I've checked fuses all okay and the boot space for water ingress. Found no issues.

I can hear the motor operating and can see the spindle spinning inside the roof through the little hole near to the cabin light.

Anyone ever had any experience with this before I take it to Jaguar £££ :lol:
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Hi ThomasH. I had the same happen to mine , Luckily I had not long bought the car so it was still under approved warranty, turned out to be a faulty motor , They also had to put on new wiring harness , reportedly costing them £2k the service manager told me , parts & labour , a few weeks later it failed again , diagnosed as a loose wire in some large grey harness plug , located down the left hand side if you open up the roof flap and look way down the auto electrical guy at dealer told me , apparently the moving frame had caught a wire and pulled this out , the fix was once wire was back in place to this grey plug was to cable tie it down , Hope yours is as simple a fix as this , Have also been reading that a low battery can cause problems as well as the plastic parts inside the roof motor can wear out over time , Maybe you could ask a recommended local auto electrician to give you a diagnosis.
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:04 pm Hi ThomasH. I had the same happen to mine , Luckily I had not long bought the car so it was still under approved warranty, turned out to be a faulty motor , They also had to put on new wiring harness , reportedly costing them £2k the service manager told me , parts & labour , a few weeks later it failed again , diagnosed as a loose wire in some large grey harness plug , located down the left hand side if you open up the roof flap and look way down the auto electrical guy at dealer told me , apparently the moving frame had caught a wire and pulled this out , the fix was once wire was back in place to this grey plug was to cable tie it down , Hope yours is as simple a fix as this , Have also been reading that a low battery can cause problems as well as the plastic parts inside the roof motor can wear out over time , Maybe you could ask a recommended local auto electrician to give you a diagnosis.
Hi thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure how I'd get to that as the roof is in the closed position. When you say roof flap I assume you mean that flaps that open up when your roof is folding away?

I have checked the battery voltage and that's perfect at 12.4V

Tomorrow I will check the switch if I get time as potentially this could be fault.

I have checked all associated fuses. Inspected wiring that is visible in the boot.

Might just have to bite the bullet and take it to Jaguar.
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)
Deleted User 3572

Hi thomasH the battery should read at least 12.6v so charge it up over nite then you could take a further reading . You dont say what year or model you have as others could help you . do you have warranty ? it could be a simple fix and hope it is . keep us in the loop .
Deleted User 3572

hi Thomas H the flap is the plastic triangle flap it can be seen when roof is closed and roof is up
scm

Post by scm »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:33 pm Hi thomasH the battery should read at least 12.6v so charge it up overnight then you could take a further reading.
You should let the "surface charge" dissipate before taking a "proper" reading, I think Jaguar has previously suggested either leave the headlights on for an hour, or wait 24 hours on an unloaded battery. If it's below 12.5V after that, it could be on its way out. How old is the battery?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

scm wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 pm
Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:33 pm Hi thomasH the battery should read at least 12.6v so charge it up overnight then you could take a further reading.
You should let the "surface charge" dissipate before taking a "proper" reading, I think Jaguar has previously suggested either leave the headlights on for an hour, or wait 24 hours on an unloaded battery. If it's below 12.5V after that, it could be on its way out. How old is the battery?
Sorry guys the car is a 2013 V6S. No warranty. I will check the flap tomorrow. Can't say how old the battery is. Only had the car for a little over 1 year.
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)
Deleted User 3572

tanya battery's online . buy a Gm battery last longer and have warranty , PS they do not have to be replaced by a dealer even you can do it lol
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Hi guys,

So I've checked the switch and cable this morning. All visually okay. I was hoping to find a damage cable of some sort.

Any ways this could be a blessing. As I switched the ignition on after putting the centre console back in the battery warning message come up. Straight away tested the voltage and as yesterday was reading 12.4V.

I will now try a new battery and fingers crossed that is just the issue. Couple of questions though.

1. Radio code where would I find this?
2. Immobiliser. Is there anything I need to be aware of when changing that battery thats going to stop the car from working?
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)
Deleted User 3572

Tanya battery s , put in your reg no , AGM battery 3 year warranty £135 next day delivery , Charge it up over nite before installing , very easy to do . No radio code required or immobiliser problems , worth a try if not next step an Indy or dealer , Have you checked if any jaguar Indus near you

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post