Deployable (pop out) door handle issue.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Robbo241079

Post by Robbo241079 »

Hi folks,

I noticed this evening that when I unlocked my car the deployable door handle at the passenger side didn't deploy/pop out yet the drivers door did as normal. Tried a number of things but not had any success in getting it popping back out again. I can press the button on it to open the door but it won't pop out, once the door is opened it just retracts flush again.

Anyone seen this issue and have an easy fix that I'm missing or is it a visit to the dealer?

Many thanks.

Doh

Post by Doh »

Hi Robbo

Are you using single point entry mode?

From the manual:

SINGLE/MULTI-POINT ENTRY
When you press the unlock button, your vehicle
will unlock in one of two ways:
1. Single-point entry: Unlocks the driver's door
and the fuel filler only. A second press is
required to unlock the remaining doors and
the tailgate.
2. Multi-point entry: Unlocks all of the doors,
the fuel filler flap, and the tailgate on the
first press.

To change from Single to Multi-point entry (or
vice versa), press both the lock and unlock
buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
Robbo241079

Post by Robbo241079 »

Hi Doh,

I've tried both single and multi. Single by usual means then jumping into the car and pressing the unlock button on the door to let someone in, handle used to pop out no problem for some reason it doesn't now.

When on multi it used to pop both handles out but again it no longer does, drivers door works fine but the passenger door doesn't. Noticed that the small LED doesn't illuminate either on the door itself to illuminate around the handle. Thought it may be a fuse but can't see a separate fuse for the handle only.
Robbo241079

Post by Robbo241079 »

Just an update for you all, visited the dealer this morning at 0730, master tech had a look and said that it is a common issue (although some stick in, like mine but most stick out). New actuator ordered which will be fitted Friday so hopefully that will solve the issue. Jaguar technical are aware of the issue.
sixk8

Post by sixk8 »

Had the same problem handle on drivers door stayed out new handle motor fitted car was only 12 weeks old when it occurred hope this won't be a problem in the future again
sixk8

Post by sixk8 »

Just had to visit jaguar dealership today drivers door handle would not retract, bin told need door handle actuator second in ten months jag enginer coming from head office to have a look ,seems to be a design fault their words not mine ,it's either the servo not strong enough or the actuating rod system putting to much strain on servo ,will keep you all informed
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Thanks for the heads up, Sixk8.
I hope they resolve the issue for you...and hopefully anyone else with this fault in the future.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Superchd

Post by Superchd »

I have had nothing but problems with mine. Initially I was getting the problem of the car locking itself immediately after unlocking necessitating grabbing the handle quickly before it could make itself scarce again. I read in the manual that a mobile phone can interfere with the signal and you shouldn't keep it in the same pocket, but this made no difference, even when I left the phone in the house. I left it with the dealer for 2 days, but they couldn't replicate the problem even though it had been constant for several weeks! They said they'd look into it and get back to me. They didn't.

When I got the car back, the immediate unwanted re-locking only happened occasionally, so I left it for a while. A week or so later, the passenger door would not unlock at all; my wife had to climb over the central reservation and get out the driver's side. When we returned to the car a few hours later, the problem seemed to have righted itself.

Two weeks later, I took my 90 year old mother to an important hospital appointment. We got to the carpark 10 minutes before the appointment time - perfect....except her door would not unlock again. Obviously, being 90, she couldn't climb over so we called assistance and only managed to get her out an hour and a half later!! She has Alzheimer's so every 2minutes was asking if we could get out now. I can't tell you how annoying that was!!!

That night the car wouldn't lock at all!!!!

I've also had the problem of the driver's handle sticking out even when locked.

The dealer has had the car for just over a week, have done a software update and replaced the driver's handle. Ive just picked it up. Seems to be ok at the moment. I hope it is fixed!
Just changed my 2013 V6 S convertible to a 2021 P450 V8 Reims edition in French racing blue
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

Ouch, that sounds like no fun at all - kudos points for each time you managed to explain politely superchd, not easy. Hope all is fixed and the gremlin put back in his box! Jess
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Agreed.

Something like that could sour the enjoyment of the car faster than the dealer can put it right.

I suspect that all of us are going to become victims of this problem at some time or another, so I reckon all dealers need to get practicing in the art of fixing this problem quickly and efficiently, otherwise the number of disillusioned customers will equal the number of cars sold....not good!!
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post