Rising oil level on V8

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
BLOOFTR

Post by BLOOFTR »

Hi all.

Just back from a European road trip. We left almost three weeks ago with the oil level at 3/4 flipping to one segment after a few seconds. Up until that point, I’d done 5500 miles in 6 months and the oil hasn’t moved.

1300 miles down to Austria via France and Germany. Made full use of the Autobahns. In Austria we did the grossglockner a couple of times enthusiastically. After the second time I checked the oil expecting to add a little. Met with overfill for a few seconds then ok. I called Jag assist. Great service even down there. They sent a local company out. He had a look and advised not to drive based on what I said had happened. Car recover to Salzburg Jaguar and had an oil filter change. No faults found.

I checked the oil back at the hotel. It settled to one segment above 1/2 on level ground. Left the hotel to head to northern Italy over the stelvio. Another enthusiastic drive up the pass and to a hotel about 8 miles over the top for the night. Next day cold I checked. Over fill again, but as it was cold I carried on. We drove into Switzerland and stopped an hour later to check again. Same level as when I picked it up from Salzburg. Carried on through Switzerland to a hotel in Gerandmér. Waited 1/2 hour, and it was back on overfill, then back to ‘full OK’. So again had raised itself from lower down the gauge. I know the gauges are crap, but that’s some difference. - twice!

Set off through France from Gerandmér. Tried Nancy Jaguar. Got the French shoulder-shrug. Headed to Reims Jaguar. Way more helpful. They took it in and changed the oil again. They overfilled it thinking it took 7litres. Main dealer! I got them to remove some and managed to get it to a uk dealer next day, where it is now. Again, no faults.

Would a leaking HPFP cause this? Dealer had raised a ticket on Jaguar for advice. Just wondering if there’s any experience on here of this. 5500 miles in 6 months could see petrol in the oil evaporate. 2600 miles in 2 weeks it’d struggle to evaporate.

Cheers.
MY2020 F-Type R-AWD in Ultra Blue.

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Wow not good news on a new car , I hope they get to the bottom of it for you , please keep us informed it will help others
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

To check the oil you should ensure the car is fully up to temperature, stop on level ground and then wait 10 min before taking a reading.

If I do that in mine it always say full.

If I check mine when cold it says overfill but if I follow the instructions it shows as full and OK.

If it is on a very slight incline or decline then it can flutter from full and OK to slightly under full to saying overfill depending on slight slope.

I would presume everything is OK and just differences in how and when you checked it.

A physical dip stick would be so much easier hey.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Fez

Post by Fez »

Agree with Simple, Follow the instructions works for me 4yrs in.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

My 2019 car oil level indicator is also more erratic than my previous one. It would first read overfilled then drop to OK after 15 seconds, then drop a segment or whatever after another 15 seconds, then remain there. I mentioned it when on for service and they applied a software update. It now goes from overfilled to OK very quickly, but I've not done enough miles to see if it behaves differently now. There's an article on that mentions how these sensors work. https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/ti/U ... nsor-9759/
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
BLOOFTR

Post by BLOOFTR »

Well the dealer is certainly pulling out all the stops. A “TA” was raised with Jaguar with a list of checks to be done, one being compression. They have again drained the oil and checked for contamination. There was none, but it’s only been in for 400 miles and motorway cruising. They have refilled with a measured quantity for me to go and do 500 miles and then drain, measure, refill.

After a bad start when I purchased the car, the dealer is now going beyond.
MY2020 F-Type R-AWD in Ultra Blue.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Gl;ad to hear and hope the result is good
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Sounds like the dealer is on the case. It'll be interesting to find out what the problem is.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Sir Jagalot

Post by Sir Jagalot »

I had this after my oil level went to overfill 6 months after a service when it was ok, and no oil was added. I checked for a coolant leak; all rocksteady, and a faulty injector, nope.

It was then I realised that the AVERAGE had gone up, not the actual oil level. You probably don't have a fault - let me explain:

The information presented to you on the dash is an average (dynamic) reading, not an oil level (static) reading. Around 3,000 oil level samples are taken per 100km when the engine is running, and the average figure is presented to you. There is an evaluation algorithm in the control unit which compensates for the marginal influences of the engine (oil volume, oil temperature, engine speed) and of the vehicle (longitudinal and transverse acceleration, ascending and descending). Obviously, this isn't perfect, so that's why the oil level has appeared to have increased when, in fact, the AVERAGE has increased.

I suggest that you reset the average (dash) reading with the actual (static) reading: Ignition ON, press and hold the cancel cruise button for more than 5 seconds, Ignition OFF, Ignition ON.
(Level surface, at least 10 mins after shutdown.)

Good luck!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post