Return of the intermittent squeak/grinding under acceleration load

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
in_a_jaaag

Post by in_a_jaaag »

Hello!

First time poster longtime lurker.

2014 Ftype S Conv RWD 68k miles.

This story begins in the spring. I had become aware of a squeaking/grinding noise coming from somewhere under the vehicle to the rear. This noise would only seem to occur intermittently, and only ever happens during acceleration, For example I would be accelerating around a corner from a stoplight and notice the squeaking. By the time am starting off from the next stoplight I wouldn't be able to reproduce the sound.

I took the jag to a garage that specialized in old jags. The tech used chassis ears and told me that the sound was coming from the differential. The tech drained the diff oil and it looked like mud. Diff may be failing and needs to be replaced.

I take my jag to a different foreign/domestic garage where they acquire a salvaged diff and begin to install it. Once the techs removed the diff they discovered that the continuous velocity axles are both completely seized, and may have contributed to the failure of the diff. Powertrain warranty covers 2 new axles. They also mentioned replacement of a wheel bearing.

I get my jag back and drive it constantly over the summer with no squeaking. Today I noticed a similar squeaking under accel load, but it is much more infrequent than before. The acoustic nature of the sound is also less sharp, and a bit quieter when compared to before the diff and axles were replaced.

Sometimes I doubt that I even heard it at all, because try as i might to reproduce it, I cannot.

What could be causing this noise? Can I expect a garage to be able to reproduce and isolate this phantom sound?

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

You state they mentioned the wheel bearing but did they do it?

What was the mileage on the salvaged diff and did it come with any warranty?

Jaguar recommend the rear diff oil is changed every 4yrs or 64000 miles which ever occurs first however based on mine I would say the maximum should be 3yrs or 25000 miles (as mine at 4yrs and 32000 was very black and turning thick).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Changing the diff oil on a v6 is a piece of cake , Providing you have the right tools . a long slim wrench and 8mm bit to loosen the fill port first , the oil cost £30 from opie oils 75w90 if i remember limited slip diff but check your model first to make sure if doing the Diy , local jaguar dealer only wanted £71 to do the change so them not handy with spanners could ask their local dealer but agree every 30,000 miles . on a side note the supercharged oil in the v6 is also easy to do . joe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post