supercharged oil change on the v6

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

A very easy job to do , bottle of fresh oil from powerhouse uk only costs £26 comes with large syringe and tube but you will need a drink straw inserted into the tube , a more detailed write up with photos to follow

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yep, worth doing for sure.
Although I’d place it third in line behind the diff - especially if of the slippy variety - and ZF box.
It certainly comes out looking fresher than any flavour of diff oil tends to, despite the high revs of the supercharger.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 3572

[attachment=0]20210730_144042_resized_2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]20210730_144051_resized_2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]20210730_164423_resized_2 1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=3]20190808_102245_resized.jpg[/attachment][attachment=4]20190807_181235_resized.jpg[/attachment]

20210730_144042_resized_2.jpg

20210730_144051_resized_2.jpg

20210730_164423_resized_2 1.jpg

20190808_102245_resized.jpg

20190807_181235_resized.jpg

Deleted User 3572

Once you place the tube with the straw on it straight inside you can feel the fins inside the supercharger , you must put the straw to the far right once inserting inside the hole , it will then go down a couple of inch allowing you to draw up the old oil , we took out 80ml of old stinking smelling stuff and put 150ml of fresh oil inside , George says it is important not to over fill . very easy to do . one thing as this can be dangerous . secure the drink straw with good tube the last thing you want to do is loose it inside lol
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Great post......Thanks for sharing 👍

Thought I’d have to take the car in to have the supercharger oil changed but I’ll be doing this myself when the time comes. Just had the engine cover off to see what the job entails and as you say, it’s easy enough and inexpensive to do.

I posted info on the Supercharger oil renewal back in January this year. Here’s the link viewtopic.php?p=50425#p50425

It includes the links to your friend George’s write-ups on how he did the job on his Jaguar XKR. This is also shown in the “F-Type 'HOW TO' Guides and Information” posted here by member ‘Unhingd’...... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2126560

Looking at the photos he provided, it’s difficult to remove the supercharger oil drain/fill plug on the XKR unless you have the correct long reach tools. This is due to its awkward location.

The photos in your own post show the F-Type supercharger oil drain/fill plug is in a much more convenient location at the rear upper of the engine.

Out of curiosity, why did you insert a plastic drinks straw into the tubing? Was it because the tubing (being flexible) couldn’t be routed to the ‘far right’ and into the bottom of the supercharger to extract the remaining oil, or was it something else e.g. tube length or diameter? When you say ‘far right’, I take it that’s towards the windscreen?

With regards to the Supercharger oil itself, this is what Powerhouse UK says about it https://powerhouse.uk/supercharger-part ... uild-kits/

“Preventative oil changes are very important on Eaton superchargers, as the ‘sealed for life’ claim is at best an aspiration, and repairs can be expensive. Although Eaton uses a high quality synthetic aviation turbine oil in its supercharger range, the oil is not indestructible and does oxidize gradually over years of exposure to high working temperatures – it just lasts longer than a plain mineral oil would.”

“After only 50,000 miles, the original oil can have degraded from the nice clear sample on the left to burnt-smelling brown soup like the right hand sample – not good for protecting the bearings and seals in your Eaton supercharger!”

“We have a range of oil refill kits which include the required quantity of oil for your Eaton supercharger, with a syringe and tube to aid removing the old oil and filling with the new.”

Also, on their ebay ad it says.....” This ad is for a bottle of latest high specification synthetic turbine oil manufactured by British Petroleum suitable for Eaton supercharger gear applications – this oil actually exceeds Eaton requirements and offers superb long term protection of your supercharger internals. You will only need basic tools to perform this vital bit of preventative home maintenance. Usually a home tool set including Allen keys plus our kit is all that is required.”

I’ve looked through various documents and couldn’t find the supercharger oil capacity. After speaking with my local Jaguar main dealer parts dept earlier today, they informed me that they don’t have a listing for it as Jaguar purchase the supercharger as a sealed unit which already contains the oil.

The supercharger oil for my V6 S (from Powerhouse UK’s ebay shop) comes in a 150ml bottle https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183076588640 (this is the same capacity for the V8), but on another ebay shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174749531343 it comes in a 250ml bottle?

The ‘Eaton Supercharger Oil Chart’ https://superchargersonline.com/2011/08 ... oil-chart/ shows the OEM application for the Jaguar AJ133 (V8) as Rotor Type TVS / R1900, and the oil fill is 5.1 fl oz (which equates to approx 150ml). It doesn’t show details for the AJ126 (V6) but I assume it’s the same?

I’ve attached some pics and the first one shows the supercharger oil drain/fill location on your car.....the second one shows mine (I’ve marked them with an arrow for clarity).

Glad this is different to the XKR! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by RPSN on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

Hi RPSN. the reason for the drink straw was , as george put in the small tube then felt the parts inside it , he came up with that idea he had used on the xkr , by using the straw (make sure it is really secure !!!!) it was then easy to get to the right hand side . Yes towards the windshield , then you will be able to feel that the straw will go down so you can extract the oil oil . on the subject off How much oil to put in . george had read about it so i left it in his capable hands , by looking at your photo with arrow , yes that is the fill /drain port same as mine , and i did read the comments that powerhouse say about 50,000 mile change . Honestly its that easy you could #replace this yearly if you wanted , the 5litre cars not so easy , I heard george swearing from across the street lol
Deleted User 3572

PS. the 150ml bottle from powerhouse is all you need . joe
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cheers Joe 👍

I wonder what makes this job more difficult on the 5 litre cars.......perhaps the space is tighter or could they be similar to the XKR in that respect?

Hope George didn’t fill the swear box too much! :lol:
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

HA Ha he had to kneel on top of the engine for Hrs , The air was electric lol on the 5l cars the fill/drain port is way down the back , making it nearly impossible , wouldnt be me
Deleted User 3572

[attachment=0]20190807_175009_resized.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]20190807_173524_resized_1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]20190627_002006_resized_1.jpg[/attachment] :shock: :D

20190807_175009_resized.jpg

20190807_173524_resized_1.jpg

20190627_002006_resized_1.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post