supercharged oil change on the v6

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:44 pm HA Ha he had to kneel on top of the engine for Hrs , The air was electric lol on the 5l cars the fill/drain port is way down the back , making it nearly impossible , wouldnt be me

In that case, the 5 litre F-Type is the same as the XKR then, with the supercharger oil drain/filler plug being a lot lower down as per George’s XKR photos you attached.

I’ve included two F-Type supercharger diagrams. The top one is for the 3.0 litre and the bottom one for the 5.0 litre. You can see the difference in shape at the rear end sections.

Going back to one of your earlier posts where you said you took 80ml of old 'stinking smelly' oil out of the supercharger and replaced it with 150ml of fresh oil, I would have thought the old oil you sucked out should also have been around 150ml as the supercharger is a sealed unit? As George said, it's important not to overfill the supercharger.

F-Type 3.0 litre supercharger.jpg

F-Type 5.0 litre supercharger.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Your diagrams are correct , and all the 5 litre cars in the JLR range have the same engine range rover etc , bet it is the same for the 3litre cars they will use the same engine that is in the v6 cars , george had said all he could get out was the 80ml nothing left inside touching the bottom with the straw , and that the rest 70ml had evaporated over time and heat . over the 7 year in my car . this is why it is important to change the oil in the older cars .
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Yes, the diagrams are original Jaguar ones.

The oil inside the supercharger is ‘filled for life', this is why it isn’t mentioned in any of the Jaguar service schedules. However, it does appear that the oil consistency can deteriorate over time which is why some recommend renewing it around the 50,000 miles mark.

Strange how only 80ml of old oil came out of the supercharger (sealed unit) on your 7 year old car, as it is not designed to allow oil to evaporate?

What I’m thinking here is......

1. Not all of the old oil has been sucked out and approx 70ml remains inside the supercharger?
2. The oil has somehow leaked out of the supercharger (although this would have probably been noticed)?
3. The supercharger was filled with around 80ml of oil when it was manufactured?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

Valid points . but i think you are wrong , i cant really see their being leaks as it is a sealed unit , could be a crack in the casing mind you , point 2 , 80ml was all george could get out and watching him doing it he tried several times not just once , point3 . im sure jaguar would put more than 70ml in the unit lol and when george done the xkr he took out more than 80ml in that , all good and valid points you have raised , if me were you i would do it your car is 2 years newer than mine and i bet you get more old oil out yours than i did , joe
Deleted User 3572

Don't know how to edit but really see the loss of oil as due to the heat from theses engines , go for a run for an hour then try putting your hand on top for a few seconds . you wont be able to
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

If there was a crack in the supercharger casing you would have probably known about it by now.

The correct oil capacity for the supercharger appears to be 150ml (5.1 fl oz) according to the ‘Eaton Supercharger Oil Chart’ link I posted earlier. As only 80ml of old oil came out of yours I doubt very much that almost 50% evaporated from the sealed unit, even on your 7 year old car. The supercharger is designed to withstand the heat from these engines.

When it comes to the time of renewing the supercharger oil, first of all I’ll suck some out to check the consistency and colour to see whether or not its ok.

To edit a post, after you’ve logged in just click on the small pencil symbol at the top right hand side of your post.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

yes agree on the 150ml , that would be the amount the maker would have put in on assembly , george said the other 70ml must have evaporated over time , and i agree with him , will be interesting to see how much you get out , please let us know . ps mind and secure the straw .
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

It’ll be a while before it’s time for me to check and possibly renew the supercharger oil but I’ll post the details when I do.

If I need to use a straw or anything similar, it’ll be well secured.

Something I forgot to ask.......what sort of mileage has your car done?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

how do you know how much to put back in, without overfilling?
Deleted User 3572

150ml as recommended

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post