supercharged oil change on the v6

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

gasgas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am how do you know how much to put back in, without overfilling?
Beltupandholdon wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:55 am 150ml as recommended

@Beltupandholdon:

I’ve just had a lengthy telephone conversation with ‘Powerhouse UK’ about the F-Type Supercharger oil. They’ve informed me that although the oil can change to a brown colour over a period of time, this is perfectly normal and doesn’t necessarily mean that it needs renewing.

I explained that my car is a MY2016 3.0 litre V6 S and it has done just over 40,000 miles. They said that unless I am hearing any strange noises from the Supercharger (which I am not) e.g. rattling, rumbling or scouring sound (indicates a failing or broken drive coupler / bearing wear / wear of the rotors and or main casing / worn shafts / damage on the drive hub or pins), the oil doesn’t need checking and possibly renewing until the car reaches around the 85,000 miles mark.

With regards to your own car, this is a summary of what they said.....

It’s impossible for the oil to evaporate from the Supercharger as it’s a sealed unit. The only way oil could escape is via worn oil seals which is very rare and would be noticeable.

As you extracted 80ml of old oil from your car’s supercharger, the remaining amount of approx 70ml is still within areas of the supercharger which cannot be reached with a syringe and straw etc. The only way to extract all of the oil is to remove the supercharger from the car and turn it upside down.

The quantity of new oil that is put in should be exactly the same amount as the old oil that was extracted (80ml in your case).

As you’ve put 150ml of new oil into the supercharger, this is now overfilled by approx 70ml which should be extracted as soon as possible to prevent any damage.

If I were you, I’d get on the blower to your mate George!
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

:D one way of explaining we're the mysterious 70ml went to lol I am very happy with the car and no problems in the months since George done this for me , same as the diff oil change he done , no intentions of bothering him , IF any noises DO arise which I Dowpt I will simply do a DIY myself it is that easy even you could do it .
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm :D one way of explaining we're the mysterious 70ml went to lol I am very happy with the car and no problems in the months since George done this for me , same as the diff oil change he done , no intentions of bothering him , IF any noises DO arise which I Dowpt I will simply do a DIY myself it is that easy even you could do it .

Glad you accept that the 70ml of Supercharger oil in your car didn’t mysteriously evaporate from the sealed unit :lol:

Correct oil fill capacities should be adhered to as any good mechanic knows!

Hope the oil seals etc are not damaged by the 70ml overfill.....only time will tell? If any untoward Supercharger noises do arise, an oil change in itself is unlikely to cure the problem as new parts may be needed.

For anyone else reading this Topic, I suggest that you follow the advice provided directly from ‘Powerhouse UK’ as stated in my previous post.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

good reply RPSN, that was my concern about quantity.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

gasgas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:37 pm good reply RPSN, that was my concern about quantity.

👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

gasgas , why not simply replace with what you take out
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

can't see the benefit as the new oil will be contaminated straight away?
Deleted User 3572

If you believe Rpsn , the unit is not a gearbox it do not have galleries for the oil to hide
Deleted User 3572

i also very much doupt this conversation with powerhouse !!!! and i seem to have found another thread by a member called Lunar , who was also getting trolled by RPSN
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@gasgas:

Even if you can get approx half of the Supercharger oil out and replace with the same amount of new oil, that will be beneficial. When the time comes, I’ll be doing this on my car.

I did it a couple of times over a period of a few weeks with the power steering fluid on my BMW until the fluid looked clean.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post