What's this ?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Anybody know what this is ?

It is at the rear, lower than the reg plate. I am pretty sure it is meant to sit flush but is sort of poking out a bit at the top.

It doesn't want to push in, and trying to pull it out feels like something is going to break so I'm afraid to exert too much pressure.

Pretty sure I haven't noticed this before when washing the car which suggests it has popped out for some reason.

Only thing that has happened recently was a visit to the dealer but that was for headlight adjustment so not sure they would have disturbed this thing at the rear.

Car is 2018 P380 convertible V6

20211010_183959[8139].jpg

Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Towbar/caravan
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Topfox59 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:43 pm Towbar/caravan
Do you think safe to apply a bit of pressure to pop it out and refit it ?

And not sure what to opo it out with..a little pressure with a screw driver immediately seemed the wrong thing to do...
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

...and any idea if I should push, pull, slide, up/down...to get it out ?
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I suspect it's the cover plate where, when removed, the towing eye would screw in. Mine sits flush, so I'd think it should just click back in if you push it a bit.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

That’s correct - and if ever used note the LH thread or you’ll be there a while 😉

The F-Type is not homologated for fitting a tow bar.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

I'm sure I read somewhere that the rear towing hook should never be used - only the front one. Well, maybe not sure, but think so. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Push it down as well as in to get the top lug to ease in, it should just clip back.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Philskill wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 pm Push it down as well as in to get the top lug to ease in, it should just clip back.
Phil, have to ever removed yours,...if so how did you do that, did you use a tool to prize it out, or just sort of push it up with your fingers ?
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Not removed mine on the f-type, but removed others can usually get a trim tool or a very flat blade and pry it out if you cannot push from behind from underneath, just a bit of flexing of the bumper with your fingers while pushing it should ease it back in, (I'd do it clean so not to rub the dirt)

More intrigued how it came out, any signs of a bump? There does seem to be a tiny divot in the top edge like it's been pryed out although that could be a bit of dirt?
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.