Castanets in my V6?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

Hi all,

Does anyone know what this sound might be?

https://youtu.be/LzzZAbD4Udg

Just to give a little background, it only seems to happen in cold, damp weather, mostly when the engine is cold, but I have heard it when the engine is warmer, just not as bad. It happens at idle speed e.g. when parked or when stopped at a junction (which can be embarrassing!).

The video is from January this year. My local dealer had the car in for several weeks (Feb and March) to replicate it and locate the fault. They were able to replicate it on the first day (cold start, early morning) but were not able to locate the source on the day. Unfortunately, the weather improved and they weren't able to replicate the noise again. However, in the last couple of months, I started to hear the sound again, albeit much fainter than the video.

I mentioned it to my local dealer when the car was in for its first MoT in September, so they booked it back in for November, hopefully when the temps are cold enough.

Other than this noise, everything else on the car seems fine - no loss of power, switchable exhaust works fine etc.
MY19.5, F-Type V6 3.0 P380 RWD Coupe
Santorini Black, Pan Roof, Parking Pack, Cirrus Leather

scm

Post by scm »

You need to investigate with the bonnet up - do you have any idea whereabouts it's coming from?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

scm wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:16 pm You need to investigate with the bonnet up - do you have any idea whereabouts it's coming from?
If you mean where in the engine bay, it sounds front and centre to me (at idle).

More recently, I noticed it faintly at lower revs (up to approx 2.5k rpm, then it disappears or is drowned out) when accelerating normally.

But I have not yet had a repeat of how bad it was in that video from January. That said, I haven't done very many miles either due to the lockdowns.

Next time it happens, I'll pop the bonnet and record it (it's usually on my drive or within a short distance of my house).

I'm no mechanic, but I thought it might be something supercharger or belt related.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Car 59474, due its 3rd service shortly but just out of warranty. If it was me I would get it looked at during 3rd service and if required open a case with Jaguar Customer Relations OR take out the Jaguar extended warranty on the monthly plan and then cancel it if not required. Cover all bases.

Was there a post about a noisy cooling pack a long time ago? Really needs a bonnet up look I guess.

Out of interest, why do you think your car is an MY19.5 and not a MY19? Just curious based on car number.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

simpleR wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 pm Car 59474, due its 3rd service shortly but just out of warranty. If it was me I would get it looked at during 3rd service and if required open a case with Jaguar Customer Relations OR take out the Jaguar extended warranty on the monthly plan and then cancel it if not required. Cover all bases.

Was there a post about a noisy cooling pack a long time ago? Really needs a bonnet up look I guess.

Out of interest, why do you think your car is an MY19.5 and not a MY19? Just curious based on car number.
The service team confirmed they were able to replicate the sound in their notes and gave me a copy, but I also took out the extended warranty too, just in case (and in case of any other warranty-covered faults). It's already booked to go in for this issue next week. The service team suggested it when I mentioned it to them following the MoT.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know the car number and when the next service is due?

Re: MY19.5, I can't fully remember. I'm fairly sure the dealer I bought it from (Harwoods in Brighton) said it was the 19.5 model year and I saw it on some documentation - but I've just looked at the docs I scanned and saved, but none mention the model year. I believe the car was built in July and I collected it in September. Are you suggesting it's a MY19 and not MY19.5 then?
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Could be a pulley or belt slipping , but I am really surprised to say the least that a main dealer let this car go back out into the road without further examination, good shout on the extended warranty at least you are covered , no wonder main dealers get a bad name , if me , I would seek out a local jaguar independent, and book the car in or pop in and let them listen to that clip you posted on YouTube , if they find the fault send the invoice to that shambles of a dealer , hope to hear , joe
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Plymothian wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:17 pm The service team confirmed they were able to replicate the sound in their notes and gave me a copy, but I also took out the extended warranty too, just in case (and in case of any other warranty-covered faults). It's already booked to go in for this issue next week. The service team suggested it when I mentioned it to them following the MoT.
Extended warranty should cover it then. Hope it gets sorted and let everyone know what it is.

Plymothian wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:17 pm Re: MY19.5, I can't fully remember. I'm fairly sure the dealer I bought it from (Harwoods in Brighton) said it was the 19.5 model year and I saw it on some documentation - but I've just looked at the docs I scanned and saved, but none mention the model year. I believe the car was built in July and I collected it in September. Are you suggesting it's a MY19 and not MY19.5 then?
Half model years are difficult. For example MY18 and MY18.5 are exactly the same apart from MY18.5 added lane departure warning as standard so an obvious clue. TopiX just lists them all as MY18 or MY19 and does not distinguish between .5 variations.
I cannot find the difference between an MY19 and MY19.5 and have been asked before so just wondering where you got it from. Possible assumptions include:
  • At around car 59200, GPF were added to cars so maybe that is the difference between MY19 and .5
  • Some original MY19 (with the updated entertainment system without physical buttons) the Smartphone pack to allow Apple CarPlay/Android Auto to work was an option which was included for free later on. Original cars could get a software update to include it for free
  • Maybe the introduction of the chequered flag model
Plymothian wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:17 pm Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know the car number and when the next service is due?
I looked your car up to see if there was any outstanding campaigns on Jaguar system to see if there was any know faults with that VIN batch etc to try and assist. You previously posted a pic with reg plate which allows anyone to look up the VIN and obtain details about the car (no personal information or owner information is available - just car details). I use it to lookup history for potential purchasers. (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37264&hilit ... ter#p37264)
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

simpleR wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:57 am
I looked your car up to see if there was any outstanding campaigns on Jaguar system to see if there was any know faults with that VIN batch etc to try and assist. You previously posted a pic with reg plate which allows anyone to look up the VIN and obtain details about the car (no personal information or owner information is available - just car details). I use it to lookup history for potential purchasers. (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37264&hilit ... ter#p37264)

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realise I had posted my reg number before - I could've saved myself some time with that awful editing :D

I think the chap at Harwoods said something about the .5 being very minor revisions and he mentioned a free 2GB per month SIM for the WiFi hotspot (which I never received). Mine also has the updated entertainment system without buttons, but didn't have Android Auto until recently. I don't know if it was an over the air update or my local dealer that added it. I saw it one day and thought "that's new!"

Thanks for your input - that's really helpful :)
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:57 am
  • Some original MY19 (with the updated entertainment system without physical buttons) the Smartphone pack to allow Apple CarPlay/Android Auto to work was an option which was included for free later on. Original cars could get a software update to include it for free.
That applied to MY18 cars, too. I'd be surprised if any MY19 didn't have the buttonless 10" screen since later MY18s had that software update (including mine which didn't work, of course).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

Hi all,

Sorry to dig this old post up, but that mysterious engine rattle is back.

This time I popped the bonnet (as per scm's suggestion) to try and at least roughly, locate where the sound is coming from. However, as you'll see in the linked YT video, the rattle had started to go by the time the bonnet was up.

https://youtu.be/bAiCVnQkcYs

Note that the weather conditions were broadly similar - it was a little bit colder this morning and it rained a lot last night. I'm certain the issue is linked to rain or temperature. I had just started the car from cold on my driveway (which is flat) and as I braked approaching the entrance to my street on a slight downward incline, the rattle started.

The car is with Jaguar today for its MoT, so they're keeping it overnight. They have been unable to replicate the rattle thus far, but that's not unsurprising. The fault was reported before the original warranty expired, but I extended my warranty anyway.

I'd welcome any thoughts on what it could be.