Antifreeze Smell - See Pictures - Help Required

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Hi guys,

In the last 6 months or so I can sometimes smell coolant\anti-freeze after a drive in my 2013 V6S. No signs of any major leaks of coolant on the garage floor, but it does lose around 100ml every 2000 miles or so, perhaps normal?

Whilst it was in being serviced, the dealer picked up one of the return coolant pipes (T2R36979 has probably had an emergency repair made to it at some point. So I ordered the part and fitted it last week. Whilst in there, I did notice this connector had no hose connected, is that normal? Or could that be the culprit? Hoping it's the hose\pipework I've just replaced, but worried about this now. I can't see any hose which would connect on.

Can someone please remove their engine cover and take a photo to compare?

For information, I replaced the Y-pipe and other coolant parts known to fail on the early cars, but that was last year.

I always make sure the cap is properly closed with 3 clicks.

PXL_20211030_150852502.jpg

scm

Post by scm »

scz4 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:56 pmIn the last 6 months or so I can sometimes smell coolant\anti-freeze after a drive in my 2013 V6S. No signs of any major leaks of coolant on the garage floor, but it does lose around 100ml every 2000 miles or so, perhaps normal?
It's not normal to lose any coolant. I think some folks have had issues with the coolant cap not seating properly, but you should see telltale signs around the thread if that's the case. In a previous XK8 I had a persistent coolant leak that was undetectable intiially but it eventually turned out to be the seam on the expansion tank opening p when things got hot, and resealing when it cooled down again. That was a known issue on the XK8 but I'd hope Jaguar has moved on a lot from those days.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

I shall tell you what you want to hear . mine is the same as yours , No hose connected to that pipe fitting , so dont worry , 14v6s brg
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

As now seen on JF lol
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I can also sometimes smell coolant, usually when returning home after a good spin, but there are no leaks. Only topped mine up once in the last 2.5 years and done approx 8000 miles in that time.

I’m assuming the yellow water droplets in some of your pics is coolant from when you fitted the new pipe last week? Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

The connector on mine is the same (no hose attached) which is normal. See pic....

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm hopeful the replacement hose will fix any leaks, looks really dodgy. I was definitely losing some through the header cap before knowing about the 3 clock trick, so that will account for some of the loss in the early days of ownership.

Will keep an eye on it though.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scz4 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:06 am I was definitely losing some through the header cap before knowing about the 3 click trick, so that will account for some of the loss in the early days of ownership.

👍

For those who aren't aware of the change to the 'coolant pressure cap fitment process', here’s the special service message from Jaguar.....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5668
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views