V6 pops and bangs

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Had the 400SPORT for 2 weeks and thoroughly enjoying it.
Only complaint is lack of noise on the over run

Sort of does it in dynamic and Sport but pretty muted compared to the videos on the web.
I understand that the dealers are ‘upgrading’ maps to reduce noise.
Is there any option to return it to ‘standard’
Russ
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Your car is 47431 and the car has had both campaigns applied for reducing noise. The first makes the car forget dynamic mode at every ignition cycle and the second reduces the amount the exhaust valves open at lower revs.

There is no dealer way to revert the change.

However please check that when you enter dynamic mode it is actually engaging sport mode.

See this.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2034&p=46049&hilit ... one#p46049
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

simpleR wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:20 pm Your car is 47431 and the car has had both campaigns applied for reducing noise. The first makes the car forget dynamic mode at every ignition cycle and the second reduces the amount the exhaust valves open at lower revs.

However please check that when you enter dynamic mode it is actually engaging sport mode.

See this.
Thanks 👍
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
@299Peter

Post by @299Peter »

simpleR wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:20 pm Your car is 47431 and the car has had both campaigns applied for reducing noise. The first makes the car forget dynamic mode at every ignition cycle and the second reduces the amount the exhaust valves open at lower revs.

See this.
SimpleR

This begs the question, how does one tell if a vehicle has had the two noise reduction campaigns installed? I have a MY14 V6S and LOVE the pops and bangs and although only being an owner since July 2021 I know that I wish to upgrade to a newer 400 Sport model but would only want one without the noise reduction campaigns!

Would/should the selling dealer know this? Would you be able to assist when I get around to viewing in 2022?

Your comments would be warmly received

Peter
Black V6S MY15 380PS F-Type
Love the car
Love the noise
Love the headturning!
scm

Post by scm »

@299Peter wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:57 pmI have a MY14 V6S and LOVE the pops and bangs and although only being an owner since July 2021 I know that I wish to upgrade to a newer 400 Sport model but would only want one without the noise reduction campaigns!
But you know how to make the pops and bangs - you'll find out during the test drive ... :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

@299Peter wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:57 pm This begs the question, how does one tell if a vehicle has had the two noise reduction campaigns installed? I have a MY14 V6S and LOVE the pops and bangs and although only being an owner since July 2021 I know that I wish to upgrade to a newer 400 Sport model but would only want one without the noise reduction campaigns!

Your comments would be warmly received
Peter
The obvious answer is ask the selling dealer as they will have full access to Topix and will be able to tell you all the software revisions and details of the car. I only know the below because my car had a horrid lurch when moving from P to D or R which they fixed by updating the PCM with a software update but the dealer warned me this also would update the H239 so the car forgets dynamic mode. This was the original campaign launched around Q3 2019. This campaign was later updated around Q3 2020 and I have refused that update on all future garage work. The full details are in my car topic.

The EU noise reduction are listed on Topix as "OUTSTANDING CAMPAIGNS" - H239 - PASS BY NOISE IN LATCHED SPECIAL PROGRAMS MODES

The first software update does nothing other than the car forgets dynamic mode at each ignition cycle.
On a MY18 or MY18.5 (and some MY19 up to when GPF were fitted) the easiest way is to drive the car and put it into dynamic mode, stop, get out, lock and unlock and get back in. If dynamic mode is remembered then it has no software updates at all applied.

If it has forgot dynamic mode then it has had at least one software update applied. The next step is to then check Topix and see if there are any outstanding H239 campaigns. If there are then it only has the first update applied, if no H239 campaigns are listed then its had both updates and again check that dynamic is in factory setup mode.

Also available when your looking....
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37264&hilit ... des#p37264
@299Peter

Post by @299Peter »

SimpleR

Thanks - detailed answer, brilliant

I only want a 400 Sport if I get all of the aural pleasure my V6S gives me - I would not compromise on this

Thanks - Peter
Love the car
Love the noise
Love the headturning!
@299Peter

Post by @299Peter »

SimpleR

I have now taken out a service package with my local JLR dealer and have asked them to make a note on the cars/my record that I do not wish any ‘noise reduction’ campaigns to be installed on my vehicle - this has been acknowledged by the dealer.

I will of course double check this ahead of any visit the car may make!

Peter
Love the car
Love the noise
Love the headturning!
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Peter , get a stage 1 tune it will take yours to just over the 400bhp
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

@299Peter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:31 pm I have now taken out a service package with my local JLR dealer and have asked them to make a note on the cars/my record that I do not wish any ‘noise reduction’ campaigns to be installed on my vehicle - this has been acknowledged by the dealer.

I will of course double check this ahead of any visit the car may make!

Peter
I always get them to put "NO SOFTWARE UPDATES" each time and then get them to highlight it as well!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post