Any help re rear diff?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Kat1ej27

Post by Kat1ej27 »

Hi

I have a 65 reg F-Type with <30,000 on the clock. In response to an odd whirring I took it to the garage and have been told (and had confirmed) the rear diff has "gone" and needs replacing. Gulp! However, Jaguar do not have a part, cannot source a part (worldwide!) and have no idea when I might be able to get a part.

The car is currently off the road.

Any suggestions on what I might do - I'd like to fix it and get it back out on the road ASAP.

Thanks

Kate

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi and welcome.
Sorry to see your first post is an issue.

What ftype do you have? For example v6 340ps and v6s 380ps have different diffs.

Did your car miss its 4th year rear diff oil change?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

My car has fjsh and has no mention of diff oil being changed at 4 years
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Belyupandholdon - they missed mine completely, it's only when I saw it on the OSH service schedule and questioned them that they said it needs changing at 8 years. I complained to JLR CC and they had a go at the dealership and I was offered to have it changed, but chargeable. I've gone independent ever since.

Kat1ej27 - if yours has full JSH and the diff oil hasn't been changed, maybe you have something to argue with. Jaguar customer service is much better to deal with than dealers but you have to start with the dealer. As SimpleR said, which model is it?
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Kat1ej27

Post by Kat1ej27 »

Thanks guys.

It's an F-Type V6 S AWD auto.

Every service to date has been by JLR under service plan.

I can't see any diff oil change on the service history. Each year had renewal of oil and oil filter and pollen filter, had spark plugs changed @ 60 months but nothing re changing diff oil. In terms of raising this with JLR where can I find a list of what should be checked/changed at each service scharlton?

V frustrating as the car is now off the road with absolutely no time frame for a solution.
scm

Post by scm »

If you go to osh.jaguar.com and enter your VIN you'll be able to see and download the service schedules for your specific vehicle.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Aside chasing down the JLR route for a possible warranty or cost contribution (which I feel will ultimately not get much traction and still not get the car on the road until they have the parts), I'd suggest the following:

Ask your Indy (or try yourself) to:
1) get quotes to have the diff assembly rebuilt. I've had this done several times on Jeeps where off roading/competition destroys them
2) approach one of the larger JLR breaking sites and seek a spare diff assembly. I'd start with sites like this that search stock https://www.1stchoice.co.uk/car-parts/jaguar/f-type
Your registration will identify the car and thus diff needed
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Well they missed mine as well looking at the on service thingy schedule :evil:
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Seems like it's good to keep an extra eye on the diff oil changes. Weirdly the usually brilliant dealer I use for my services also wasn't aware of it needing to be done when I booked the car in for its 4 year service.

That didn't matter at all because I actually got a brand new diff fitted by another dealer two days earlier. When I told my servicing dealer that they could exclude the diff oil change from the service they weren't aware it should be included in the first place. This is a great dealer and you can clearly see in the service schedule that the diff oil change is due at that time so it's all quite odd.

Looks like the dealers go by something else than the published service schedules when they determine what should be included in a service. That said, as an F-Type owner you need to know what needs to be included in each service, can't trust a JLR dealer to include the right things and make sure the right things are done.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Kat why don't you shop around and find a auto repair firm that will strip your dif and rebuild, might cost a bit but at least back on the road?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post