No E-Diff, DSC, flashing lights and audio

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
James35f

Post by James35f »

Greetings all!! My first ever post and not how I would have wanted it. A few on the ago I bought an approved used 2015 F Type R. Absolutely love it. But since day 1 it has had an intermittent recurring issue.

It will be driving just fine - sometimes for days at a time. Then all of a sudden, warning bong, messages saying E-Diff and stability control not available. At the same time, I can hear relays going off like (again intermittently , but sometimes in rapid quick fire) with audio and infotainment screen cutting in and out and headlights flashing (if on). After a while it goes away. Sometimes it goes away after restarting.

It’s been back to the dealer twice for several weeks at a time. It’s had full CAN BUS checks several times with no issue showing. They thought they’d identified a dodgy electrical control module (relating to diff I believe) as the problem and replaced it but the problem has come back so it must be something else.

Any ideas I could get them to look into this time? Worried if it’s some loose connection etc it’s going to be a needle in a haystack. Really want it fixed rather than swapping the car but not ruling anything out at this stage!

Thanks so much
James

scm

Post by scm »

My money would be on a bad earth. Some folks have found the stud in the front right wheel-arch to be a good candidate.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, shame it took an issue to get you aboard!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

James35f wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:32 pm It’s been back to the dealer twice for several weeks at a time. It’s had full CAN BUS checks several times with no issue showing. They thought they’d identified a dodgy electrical control module (relating to diff I believe) as the problem and replaced it but the problem has come back so it must be something else.

Any ideas I could get them to look into this time? Worried if it’s some loose connection etc it’s going to be a needle in a haystack. Really want it fixed rather than swapping the car but not ruling anything out at this stage!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm another who thinks it could be a bad earth or connection.

Here are three separate areas that have caused electrical issues on some F-Types. It’s worth mentioning them to the dealer.....

Power stud corrosion:
viewtopic.php?p=43005#p43005

viewtopic.php?p=43081#p43081

Battery negative earth connection on boot floor:
viewtopic.php?p=60018#p60018

Engine earth strap:
viewtopic.php?p=44313#p44313
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Check for water ingress into the boot. You’d think the dealer would have already done that, but you never know. You need to take the boot floor trim out and check at the lowest point. Lots of electrical bits in there. Does it only happen following wet days or washing the car?

Some modern mechanics don’t look past the computer screen!
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Water in the boot around the battery or bad earth.
After 4+ years on the forum that would be the two most common reasons.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Had a similar issue, my indie identified 3 or 4 possibilities after code checking, replaced the battery and all is good.
James35f

Post by James35f »

Very helpful - thanks so much for the quick replies. Will have a read and mention these when it goes back in. Will get some pics up once it's back to health!
Tel

Post by Tel »

James, the good news is, it's not terminal!

From the symptoms you describe it's merely a connection issue, be it CAN Bus or Power.
The bad news is, it's a time consuming Pita to trace, especially if it's as sporadic as you say.

If you are so inclined, you might want to purchase a cheap code reader, wait fir the fault to manifest and read the codes.

I'd suggest an Indie, not a dealer to look into this.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:27 am I'd suggest an Indie, not a dealer to look into this.
Excellent suggestion - it'll save you at least 50% of the labour cost!

The suggestion by gasgas is good, too - if you're on your original battery it may be due for replacement.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
James35f

Post by James35f »

Thanks. Car is still under approved warranty and since the fault was pretty much present from day 1 the main dealer seem keen to fix - I will keep you posted.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post