FLAT BATTERY, AND ROOF NOT LATCHED MESSAGE

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
masterpablito

Post by masterpablito »

Hi, Im just arrived and I appreciate the admission to the forum.

FTYPE, YR 2017, VERT, R AWD

The problem: I had the car for a couple of months at the parking without using it
...then 2 weeks ago I found out the battery had run out.
Called the Assistance, battery jumping, etc...
hard to jump it but finally achieved

Everything seems to work fine, some settings have changed...BUT...THE BIG ISSUE:
message "roof not latched" doesnt disappear from the panel...and the roof doesnt open; it´s closed, and WELL CLOSED...
Any tips?

Many thanks in advance¡¡¡

scm

Post by scm »

First thing is to fully charge the battery (you don't say if you've done that). Then see if the fault persists.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
masterpablito

Post by masterpablito »

Got the battery deisconnected for 1 hr too, in order to get a proper ´reset¨but no way...message still appearing and roof doesnt move..
:cry: :cry: :cry:
masterpablito

Post by masterpablito »

Hi SCM¡, how can I ´fully charge the battery¨or how can I know is fully charged? Right now seems to be charged. No message about ¨low battery¨
scm

Post by scm »

Stick a battery maintainer on it overnight, should do the trick. Lots of folk on here have a CTEK (MXS 5.0 is popular) to connect when they leave their car idle for a while.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Good advice to follow , if the message do not go away next step is to replace the battery , mind and fully charge before installing, do you have a code reader or access to one
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Good advice to fit a new battery first, then see how things change.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Given this is not an urgent matter, rather just an error message, there are a couple of things I'd suggest before you run out spending, after having done the battery disconnect to try to reset..:

1) Consider going to the likes off Halfords who for free will check your battery https://www.halfords.com/car-repairs/ca ... TTERY.html No need to buy there but you'll have an opinion on its
condition

2) Buy a cheap (£3-£6 depending on source) voltage tester from Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303956259377 ... SwObZgdAC7

They are accurate and cheap and you can tell you from a reading in a few seconds the charge condition of your battery

bee33e3900f485e036ab48387b4b2e54.jpg

3) Buying a CTEC as SCM suggests is a great idea. Many of use use them and JLR's in general run out of battery if left for more than a week or so without charging or driving. It is however only any use if you have access to a power supply for several hours, which your post doesn't make clear

With a bit more info your spending will be more guaranteed to have results...
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:10 am 3) Buying a CTEK as SCM suggests is a great idea. Many of us use them and JLRs in general run out of battery if left for more than a week or so without charging or driving.
I have to say this isn't entirely accurate - my F-Type stood unused for 2 months during some neighbouring building work and started on the button after that time. Of course, I got the "low battery" message and did an overnight recharge, but the car will last more than a week or so without charging.

Of course, low battery voltage may give rise to some random electrical errors so it is worth keeping on top of the charge, especially if your use of the car is infrequent.

Regarding having the battery tested - on a previous 2004 XKR I was getting some strange errors so figured the battery was on its way out. I went to a local store to buy a replacement but the sales guy insisted on testing it before he'd sell me one. He pronounced the battery "good" and wouldn't let me buy another one1 I ordered one online (much cheaper, too!) for next day delivery, fitted it and all the errors went away. Caveat emptor!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:40 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:10 am 3) Buying a CTEK as SCM suggests is a great idea. Many of us use them and JLRs in general run out of battery if left for more than a week or so without charging or driving.
I have to say this isn't entirely accurate - my F-Type stood unused for 2 months during some neighbouring building work and started on the button after that time. Of course, I got the "low battery" message and did an overnight recharge, but the car will last more than a week or so without charging.

Of course, low battery voltage may give rise to some random electrical errors so it is worth keeping on top of the charge, especially if your use of the car is infrequent.

Regarding having the battery tested - on a previous 2004 XKR I was getting some strange errors so figured the battery was on its way out. I went to a local store to buy a replacement but the sales guy insisted on testing it before he'd sell me one. He pronounced the battery "good" and wouldn't let me buy another one1 I ordered one online (much cheaper, too!) for next day delivery, fitted it and all the errors went away. Caveat emptor!
SCM - of course when a comment is 'in general' lots of people don't get the issue. My point is that running a few tests is better than just going out and buying a new battery, even if ultimately it may well be the problem
As an aside and though I'd not normally shop there my last RR battery came from Halfords. Less than on-line and had a 4 year warranty
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post