Cost of Diff oil change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:04 pm Same here jeeper 75w90 from opie oils but I paid 30 odd , they have good deals on the now for service kits and 0w20 to spec
Frankly it frustrates me that places can’t simply give a price and stick with it.
B&Q is my biggest moan. Each time I spend they send me a voucher redeemable next time I shop and usually for just a bit more than I spent before and expiring In 7 days..
In general shops seem to spend more time telling me what I’m saving, usually against an inflated start price, rather that what I actually have to pay
Rant over…
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

I still have my trade card for b&q but seldom shop there I use screwfix now and find them cheaper , both are owned by the kingfisher group
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 pm I still have my trade card for b&q but seldom shop there I use screwfix now and find them cheaper , both are owned by the kingfisher group
I'm a Screwfix trade customer :) However, they don't sell a lot of stuff that B&Q do at sometimes bargain prices from timber to paint, some plants to bagged compost. All the stuff I need for a new home
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:32 pm I used Motul Gear 300 LS 75w-90 Fully Synthetic Racing Limited Slip Differential Oil - 1 Litre from Opie Oils. Use code WELCOME15 and it works out at £22 inc. postage
The Motul Gear 300 LS 75w-90 Fully Synthetic Racing LSD Oil from Opie Oils is good stuff. I went for the recommended Castrol BOT720 which I picked up from the main dealer for just over £35.
cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:41 pm Diff was slightly warmed with a short drive, but wasn't going to ever get hot in 5c temps. and by the time the exhaust cools down to access things it's all back to near normal temp...

Agree - def. changed the design from what's pictured on this thread. Access to the rear mounted plug is very hard and there's no possible access along the driveshaft as there's a solid bracket blocking it. Thin fingers, no gloves and and a creative bit/spanner set up is needed. Would be an easy and sensible factory change based upon real world feedback to drill the casing at a more convenient point.

I'd certainly advocate the 50k mileage point as the upper end to change it, especially if planning to track it or push to the limits...
Preferably, the diff oil should be warm but even if it's slightly warmed, that’s better than it being cold and will help with draining.

Jaguar may have changed the location of the diff oil filler plug for easier access? Not sure if your car has a slightly different set-up to the 2014 V6S in the link I provided earlier viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4160 in which the OP, who has the same filler plug location as you said.....”To access and remove the plug I used a 5/16 hex drive, on a 3/8 long extension and ratchet. If you feed the long extension along the rear of the drive shaft, you can get on the fill plug and undo it.”

The Jaguar service schedule for the LSD oil change on my car is 64000 miles / 48 months. However, I’ve pencilled in 25000 miles / 48 months (whichever comes first). It’ll work out the same for now as I’m currently doing around 3000-4000 miles per year.

Something I also do in-between this service period to check the diff oil consistency/viscosity, is to slightly loosen the drain plug until the oil starts to show, then take a sample with my finger before retorquing the plug.....Gives me peace of mind.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Just to close off this thread, I have had my car serviced now and collected it yesterday. Their tech noticed an occasional unusual noise from the rear diff during the test drive and JLR have authorised a replacement diff under warranty - so I guess the oil change will be free! 😀 They told me the car is still fine to drive whilst they now wait to get hold of the new diff.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

👍 good result!

I paid £150 for the rear diff oil to be changed at the last service (20,000) miles. But similarly, they noticed the front diff had leaking seals, which was also fixed under warranty at the same time. Two for the price of one 😁
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

mickjaguar wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:47 pm 👍 good result!

I paid £150 for the rear diff oil to be changed at the last service (20,000) miles. But similarly, they noticed the front diff had leaking seals, which was also fixed under warranty at the same time. Two for the price of one 😁
So did you get a new diff or just fixed oil leak? Sounds like a good result either way! I’m a little worried about how long I’ll have to wait for the new diff as planning a trip in Europe in a couple of months….
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I think it might have just been new oil seals, as the 'parts' were there by the next day. Fingers crossed the new diff will turn up fairly quickly. I asked the parts guy about non-opf cats recently and he said they could be got in for next day. It seems some parts don't have any delays.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

GusA wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:54 pmas planning a trip in Europe in a couple of months….
Funny that, I'm taking the Jag for a (very leisurely) trip around Portugal in a couple of months.

apols for going off-topic and hope you get your car sorted quickly - bit worrying that the diff has failed so soon but at least it's done so under warranty.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Snuf

Post by Snuf »

2016 Jaguar F type V6 S AWD coupe
Schedule service completed
80,000 miles/60 months service
Related service items
Renewal of oil and oil filter
Electronic vehicle health check
Renewal of spark plugs
Renewal of transfer case fluid
Renewal of front differential fluid
Renewal of rear differential fluid
Plus service items

On Wednesday I paid £715 for this 5 year service from my local Jaguar dealer. I think this is great value for £
Stratstone
Houghton Le spring
Stoneygate
DH4 6HZ

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post