Cost of Diff oil change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Hi all, my car is coming up to two years old and due it’s second service. I asked the dealer how much it would be to change the rear diff oil (P380 RWD LSD) and he has quoted £190. This seems quite steep from other posts I’ve read. The Castrol BOT 720 oil seems to be around £40 per litre, so they’re charging £150 for labour. Is this really a long job? Could I do it myself as it’s additional to the required service schedule? Anyone know any indies in Wiltshire/Hampshire area that have done theirs for less? TIA

Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi Gusa, my brother did mine for me as he's a mechanic I watched him it seemed prity straight forward as I remember, he did have some kind of pump that he used to replace the oil I can ask him what it's called if you want.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
Deleted User 1715

Quiet man wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:01 pm Hi Gusa, my brother did mine for me as he's a mechanic I watched him it seemed prity straight forward as I remember, he did have some kind of pump that he used to replace the oil I can ask him what it's called if you want.
Thanks, I’d appreciate that. How long did it take him?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

For a dealer with a ramp I’d give it 20 mins tops.
It took me maybe 45 mins but that’s with ramps and taking things steady.
You use a suction pump to remove all the old oil when it’s a bit arse high.
They’re probably charging £50 for the oil and a half hour at £200 per hour - including coffee 😂
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

i done mine LSD 380 model v6s , easy peasy , first you will need a long thin wrench about 10inch long with a thin head , 8mm bit to first release the fill plug , then the drain plug , go onto opie oil site put in your reg no , i done mine bought the oil from them £30 odd quidd then i had to buy a pump from halfords cost £20 , so in all say £55 job done in 20-30mins , i did phone my local jaguar dealer who quoted me £72 . but i like to do things myself
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

IMG-20220211-WA0003.jpg

Hi Gusa, sorry for the delay it took a while for him to reply, it took him about 30 minutes and the tool he used is called a transmission oil filling tool they are around £50 to £60.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
Deleted User 3572

what no one has told you is how much to put in ;) LSD 860ml
Deleted User 1715

Thanks for the help and advice, I think I’ll look at doing it myself.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Might be dumb questions but anyway...

What is a suction pump needed for when the oil will drop out of the drain hole?
Is it not the correct amount when it starts to run back at you from the filler hole?
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Deleted User 3572

[quote=Derivative post_id=62257 time=1644657388 user_id=999]
Might be dumb questions but anyway...

What is a suction pump needed for when the oil will drop out of the drain hole?
Is it not the correct amount when it starts to run back at you from the filler hole?
[/quote]

The pump is used to re-fill via the fill port once it has been drained out and drain cap put back on , and no you don't just fill to it runs out aparantly , I read about doing it on the yank forum so put in the 860ml , but this is for the v6 models only with the LSD diff , the 5 litre cars take more over a litre

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post