Cost of Diff oil change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Lunar wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:45 am If you can drain the oil with the car level and not up on ramps I’m impressed RSPN 😂

Ramps are always the safer option to a jack and axle stands - a lot less faff too 👍🏻

And so you should be :lol:

It can be done by jacking the rear near side of the car up, supporting it on an axle stand and chocking the wheels. You can remove the differential oil fill plug with or without removing the rear near side wheel. If you do it without, the subframe cross brace can easily be removed (2 bolts) which helps to access the filler plug from under the car. Place a suitable container beneath the diff drain plug and remove the plug. When the oil stops draining, raise the car and remove the axle stand (ensuring no part of you remains under the car). Lower the car slowly until it is reasonably level and any remaining oil will drain out after a minute or two. Raise the car and support on axle stand, ensuring chocks are tight against the wheels. The drain plug can then be refitted, oil refilled with the correct amount and fill plug refitted. Once this is done, refit the wheel or cross brace (whichever is removed), remove axle stand, lower car to the ground and remove chocks.

Ramps such as the Rhino Ramps etc aren't always the safer option compared to a good jack and axle stands but they can be less hassle for certain jobs.

P.S. Remember your rear differential oil drain plug from your fill plug :)
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Thanks for all of your replies, I had a quick look underneath today to see how easy it will be as some YouTube videos (V8 e-diff) seem to show the access to the fill plug being difficult. Not so with the V6 LSD, really easy to access from underneath as per these photos. 6” extension for the fill plug (8mm hex drive) and the drain plug is just a square 3/8” drive. Just need to confirm the torque setting is 27nm.

A65C85F5-45B2-4D40-9D73-1674F04EDDE5.jpeg

BAA92CF8-AD43-494A-9B82-57FAC4B9B7D5.jpeg

scm

Post by scm »

One of the US forum guys suggested going at it through the left rear wheel well.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

scm wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:18 pm One of the US forum guys suggested going at it through the left rear wheel well.
I think that may be for the V8 owners with the e-diff, definitely not needed for the mechanical LSD on mine.

I have called a friend who works for JLR and he looked up how much time is allocated to the job for them - 0.2 hours! So the quote of £189.99 breaks down to £40 for the oil and £150 labour = labour rate of £750 per hour!

Edit: from the friend I spoke to, he recommended replacing the drain and fill plugs as they are very cheap and have some sort of sealant on them, rather than re-using them. Also, later cars need slightly more oil than the table posted on this thread (2016 car?). For mine (MY20) it’s 0.86-0.88 dry fill or 0.835-0.855 wet fill. If I do it myself I’ll post some photos.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

[quote=GusA post_id=62287 time=1644782346 user_id=1715]
[quote=scm post_id=62286 time=1644772719 user_id=1834]
One of the US forum guys suggested going at it through the left rear wheel well.
[/quote]

I think that may be for the V8 owners with the e-diff, definitely not needed for the mechanical LSD on mine.

I have called a friend who works for JLR and he looked up how much time is allocated to the job for them - 0.2 hours! So the quote of £189.99 breaks down to £40 for the oil and £150 labour = labour rate of £750 per hour!

Edit: from the friend I spoke to, he recommended replacing the drain and fill plugs as they are very cheap and have some sort of sealant on them, rather than re-using them. Also, later cars need slightly more oil than the table posted on this thread (2016 car?). For mine (MY20) it’s 0.86-0.88 dry fill or 0.835-0.855 wet fill. If I do it myself I’ll post some photos.
[/quote]
Good info GusA. £750 per hour :shock:
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:54 pm Thanks for all of your replies, I had a quick look underneath today to see how easy it will be as some YouTube videos (V8 e-diff) seem to show the access to the fill plug being difficult. Not so with the V6 LSD, really easy to access from underneath as per these photos. 6” extension for the fill plug (8mm hex drive) and the drain plug is just a square 3/8” drive. Just need to confirm the torque setting is 27nm.
On my 2016 V6S LSD, the oil fill plug can be accessed much easier by removing the rear cross brace (2 bolts – 1 each side)....see pics

To confirm.....the torque settings for the drain and filler plug are the same at 27 Nm.
GusA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:59 pm from the friend I spoke to, he recommended replacing the drain and fill plugs as they are very cheap and have some sort of sealant on them, rather than re-using them. Also, later cars need slightly more oil than the table posted on this thread (2016 car?). For mine (MY20) it’s 0.86-0.88 dry fill or 0.835-0.855 wet fill. If I do it myself I’ll post some photos.
The Jaguar diff oil drain plug for the V6 (part number C2D3649) is priced at £15 and the filler plug (part number C2D3648) is £2.40. No harm in renewing them at the same time the diff oil is changed. Alternatively you can wrap some PTFE tape around the threads and save yourself approx £17 :)

The TOPIx 2015 F-Type (X152) Lubricants & Capacities chart I posted shows a dry fill of 0.84–0.86 litres and wet fill of 0.815-0.835 litres for the Engine Type 3.0 litre (380PS). The figures you’ve quoted for your MY20 P380 are only slightly higher but within range. If you do the job yourself, use the ‘wet fill’ figures.

My preferred choice is to remove the diff oil filler plug from under the car (cross brace removed) rather than going through the rear near side wheel arch. The Sealey 1Litre Multi-Purpose Mini Pump and tube with aluminium 'U' shaped end https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391473069609 fits nicely and holds into the diff oil filler hole.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by RPSN on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Can some one point out to me the difference of a "wet fill" compared to a "dry fill " confused . Com :roll:
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 am Can some one point out to me the difference of a "wet fill" compared to a "dry fill " confused . Com :roll:
Simply the difference between filling when new or rebuilt Vs an oil change. For the latter there will always be some oil remaining in cavities, and various internal components, hence less oil required
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Cats

Post by Cats »

Interested to read the posts on this. I bought my car a year ago from an independent. The 5th service was completed by another independent garage by the previous owner prior to selling. Turns out the car was on a service contract and could have had a 5th free service but by the time I found this out the contract had expired. I noted from the invoice that although the car had only done less than 7k miles that the diff oil hadn't been changed and after reading the various posts on the matter, thought that it'd be a good idea to get it done for peace of mind. The Indy seller said that they would do it as part of the sale but I preferred to get a main dealer to do it.
So I got a quote from my local JLR garage which I thought was a very reasonable £80 inc oil. I told the seller and they said fair enough we'll knock £100 of the agreed price of the car. All good so far.
Got the car home and booked it in for the oil change. Day of work arrived, dropped the car off to be told I couldn't wait for it due to Covid, although it was booked in on this basis and told to arrive at 10am. After arguing the fact that if this was the case why would I turn up at 10am and not earlier. Eventually they agreed to me waiting out on the car park.
I went for a walk to then get a phone call from the service representative to say that they had made a mistake on the price and did I have written confirmation of the quote; obviously not because I assumed they were a reputable dealer, big mistake!
Price was £245.00. I said a few unmentionable words and that I was coming back to take the car elsewhere. Rep said oh don't do that I'll have a word with the service manager. I said please do and I would also like to speak to him.
Rep came back that they could do it for £180.00 as the oil alone was well over the previous quoted price. No, I'll have the car back thank you and I'll never darken your step again!
Rep, " No, don't do that, I'll have another word".
Ultimately he came back with £140 which I agreed to on the basis that I was getting pretty peeved at the waste of time by now and was obviously a good price for a main dealer but not what was originally verbally quoted. Obviously the service manager was far too busy to speak to me but won't have to now as I will never use this place again.
It is a real shame that JLR don't sort out the after sales problem as the car is absolutely faultless and a great advert for the brand but mine and my other JLR product will not be going back to a main dealer any time soon.
Rhodium Silver F Type SVR Coupe 2016 now gone sadly
Ultra Blue F Pace SVR 2022
Deleted User 1715

Cats wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:28 pm Interested to read the posts on this. I bought my car a year ago from an independent. The 5th service was completed by another independent garage by the previous owner prior to selling. Turns out the car was on a service contract and could have had a 5th free service but by the time I found this out the contract had expired. I noted from the invoice that although the car had only done less than 7k miles that the diff oil hadn't been changed and after reading the various posts on the matter, thought that it'd be a good idea to get it done for peace of mind. The Indy seller said that they would do it as part of the sale but I preferred to get a main dealer to do it.
So I got a quote from my local JLR garage which I thought was a very reasonable £80 inc oil. I told the seller and they said fair enough we'll knock £100 of the agreed price of the car. All good so far.
Got the car home and booked it in for the oil change. Day of work arrived, dropped the car off to be told I couldn't wait for it due to Covid, although it was booked in on this basis and told to arrive at 10am. After arguing the fact that if this was the case why would I turn up at 10am and not earlier. Eventually they agreed to me waiting out on the car park.
I went for a walk to then get a phone call from the service representative to say that they had made a mistake on the price and did I have written confirmation of the quote; obviously not because I assumed they were a reputable dealer, big mistake!
Price was £245.00. I said a few unmentionable words and that I was coming back to take the car elsewhere. Rep said oh don't do that I'll have a word with the service manager. I said please do and I would also like to speak to him.
Rep came back that they could do it for £180.00 as the oil alone was well over the previous quoted price. No, I'll have the car back thank you and I'll never darken your step again!
Rep, " No, don't do that, I'll have another word".
Ultimately he came back with £140 which I agreed to on the basis that I was getting pretty peeved at the waste of time by now and was obviously a good price for a main dealer but not what was originally verbally quoted. Obviously the service manager was far too busy to speak to me but won't have to now as I will never use this place again.
It is a real shame that JLR don't sort out the after sales problem as the car is absolutely faultless and a great advert for the brand but mine and my other JLR product will not be going back to a main dealer any time soon.
Not a good experience! I don’t think I’d have lasted as long as you! I’ll see what the dealer amends his £190 quote to when it gets serviced in 3 weeks time, but given the 0.2 hours allocated by JLR and the oil cost (which I’ve now found out to be about £22 +VAT per litre for dealers) I doubt I’ll be asking them to do it!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post