Cost of Diff oil change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Good man jeeper car will thank you for it

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:02 pm Good man jeeper car will thank you for it
Agreed - preventative maintenance is always a good idea. Also fitted a new brake pad wear sensor that was loose. Supercharger is next when I get the oil :)

Been a good week as passed the MOT with the 7th straight pass and no advisories in the history, aside a couple of tyre near limit warnings before ownership time
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:04 pm Did the change myself this morning. Nothing too it really, but the write up was useful to prepare me. Thanks to those who posted photos, sizes and fluid capacities :)
Lowered the car to ground level and a lot more oil drained out than when jacked up, so worth it. Also being so cold it took a good while to drain, so took a coffee break :)
For the fill plug they may have changed the design as mine is located rear side of the driveshafts and has zero room for extension bars between it and the subframe members. 8mm hex bit in a magnetic holder and a ratchet ring spanner made light work of it

Overall at 7 years and 55k it was worthwhile as the oil was like treacle, so feel much happier now done
I’ve got the oil and plugs ready to go, strange that the design has changed. The photos I posted were from my RWD V6. Good to hear that lowering the car helped to extract more oil, I was in 2 minds whether it would make much difference. Did you use new plugs? You can see from the photo below that there is some sort of white sealant on the threads.

0A087518-00D8-4526-9AEA-CFD9213A9967.jpeg

Deleted User 3572

[quote=cj10jeeper post_id=62505 time=1645283407 user_id=1137]
[quote=Beltupandholdon post_id=62504 time=1645282920 user_id=3572]
Good man jeeper car will thank you for it
[/quote]

Agreed - preventative maintenance is always a good idea. Also fitted a new brake pad wear sensor that was loose. Supercharger is next when I get the oil :)

Been a good week as passed the MOT with the 7th straight pass and no advisories in the history, aside a couple of tyre near limit warnings before ownership time
[/quote]

Supercharger oil change is so easy on the v6 , I was happy draining it out then topping it back up but others might be more fussed than me sa some like the diff oil change old oil will remain in gallery's , no problem I say do it again next year its that easy ;) :P
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:04 pm Did the change myself this morning. Nothing too it really, but the write up was useful to prepare me. Thanks to those who posted photos, sizes and fluid capacities :)
Lowered the car to ground level and a lot more oil drained out than when jacked up, so worth it. Also being so cold it took a good while to drain, so took a coffee break :)
For the fill plug they may have changed the design as mine is located rear side of the driveshafts and has zero room for extension bars between it and the subframe members. 8mm hex bit in a magnetic holder and a ratchet ring spanner made light work of it

Overall at 7 years and 55k it was worthwhile as the oil was like treacle, so feel much happier now done

Always helps to have some good info beforehand, including lowering the jacked up car to ground level in order to drain more oil out of the diff. I also used to do this when changing the engine oil on my cars, up until I bought an electric oil pump to suck the oil out from the top of the engine, which is much easier. Doesn't sound like you warmed up the diff oil (by taking the car out for a drive) before doing the job, as the oil would have drained better.

Here’s another early V6S (2014) which has the rear diff oil filler plug located in the same position as yours i.e. towards the rear side of the diff (behind the driveshaft) viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4160 .On my 2016 model it’s located towards the front side of the diff (in front of the driveshaft), so Jaguar has changed the design.

Sounds like you did the job just in time as the old oil was like treacle. You can understand why some owners change the diff oil more frequently.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

so bot720 is stuff thats needed?
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Depending on what model you have, as shown in the attachment in my earlier post (360PS should actually be 380PS).

The 2.0L details aren't shown here but the correct diff oil for it is Castrol BOT750B.

Rear Differential Lubricants & Capacities (V6 & V8).png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

AJ13 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:41 pm so bot720 is stuff thats needed?
I used Motul Gear 300 LS 75w-90 Fully Synthetic Racing Limited Slip Differential Oil - 1 Litre from Opie Oils. Use code WELCOME15 and it works out at £22 inc. postage
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:09 pm

Always helps to have some good info beforehand, including lowering the jacked up car to ground level in order to drain more oil out of the diff. I also used to do this when changing the engine oil on my cars, up until I bought an electric oil pump to suck the oil out from the top of the engine, which is much easier. Doesn't sound like you warmed up the diff oil (by taking the car out for a drive) before doing the job, as the oil would have drained better.

Here’s another early V6S (2014) which has the rear diff oil filler plug located in the same position as yours i.e. towards the rear side of the diff (behind the driveshaft) viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4160 .On my 2016 model it’s located towards the front side of the diff (in front of the driveshaft), so Jaguar has changed the design.

Sounds like you did the job just in time as the old oil was like treacle. You can understand why some owners change the diff oil more frequently.
Diff was slightly warmed with a short drive, but wasn't going to ever get hot in 5c temps. and by the time the exhaust cools down to access things it's all back to near normal temp...

Agree - def. changed the design from what's pictured on this thread. Access to the rear mounted plug is very hard and there's no possible access along the driveshaft as there's a solid bracket blocking it. Thin fingers, no gloves and and a creative bit/spanner set up is needed. Would be an easy and sensible factory change based upon real world feedback to drill the casing at a more convenient point.

I'd certainly advocate the 50k mileage point as the upper end to change it, especially if planning to track it or push to the limits...
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Deleted User 3572

Same here jeeper 75w90 from opie oils but I paid 30 odd , they have good deals on the now for service kits and 0w20 to spec

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post