Cost of Diff oil change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Cj10jeeper, that's for clearing that up for me , so more or less pointless to quote a "dry" fill unless you are getting a brand new diff, and not what this topic was about ....... :roll:

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:07 pm Cj10jeeper, that's for clearing that up for me , so more or less pointless to quote a "dry" fill unless you are getting a brand new diff, and not what this topic was about ....... :roll:
Apologies, I didn’t mean to cause any confusion. I should have just stated the wet fill figures. The point I was trying to put across is that there seem to be different figures depending on the age of the diff so maybe the later ones have been modified in some way and need more oil, or it could be that they haven’t changed but JLR have decided that more oil is required for them to operate safely?
Cats

Post by Cats »

Just checked my invoice from last March, sorry I ended up paying £135 for the oil replacement.
2 litres of JC2D3650 @ £28.67 + VAT and half an hour of labour @ £55 seems almost like a good deal now 😜😂
Rhodium Silver F Type SVR Coupe 2016 now gone sadly
Ultra Blue F Pace SVR 2022
Deleted User 3572

No worries gus, it wasn't just you . ;)
Deleted User 3572

Cats, yes kind of a good deal , it seems to be a minefield out there for prices from main dealers and I don't know why , I done this myself but only after I had bought the bottle of oil from opie oils costing £30 did I then ask a local Jlr dealer for a price , was given a quote of £70 if I had known that before I would have let them do it
Deleted User 3572

It pays to shop about , even phone a jaguar Indy , in my case they were way more expensive than the main dealer , shock , we have a ranger rover I use it most the time it has 2 diff s and a transfer box that need doing , main dealer quote is £220 , Land Rover Indy is £330 I know who I will be going to
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 am Can some one point out to me the difference of a "wet fill" compared to a "dry fill " confused . Com :roll:

A ‘wet fill’ is when you leave it in to soak.......A ‘dry fill’ is when you whip it out! :lol:
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:29 pm there seem to be different figures depending on the age of the diff so maybe the later ones have been modified in some way and need more oil, or it could be that they haven’t changed but JLR have decided that more oil is required for them to operate safely?

The diff oil capacity figures you have stated for your car are slightly different to mine but they are still within the range specified in the JLR TOPIx 2015 F-Type (X152) Lubricants & Capacities chart I posted earlier in this thread.

With regards to....“it could be that they haven’t changed but JLR have decided that more oil is required for them to operate safely?”....I doubt it very much as my 2016 V6S LSD works perfectly with the ‘wet fill’ diff oil amount specified in the chart.

Also, other F-Type owners use the same JLR TOPIx information shown in the chart for the 3.0L and 5.0L without any problems.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... iy-230515/
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

IF you are DIY, make sure you can undo the refill plug before draining out the oil.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Did the change myself this morning. Nothing too it really, but the write up was useful to prepare me. Thanks to those who posted photos, sizes and fluid capacities :)
Lowered the car to ground level and a lot more oil drained out than when jacked up, so worth it. Also being so cold it took a good while to drain, so took a coffee break :)
For the fill plug they may have changed the design as mine is located rear side of the driveshafts and has zero room for extension bars between it and the subframe members. 8mm hex bit in a magnetic holder and a ratchet ring spanner made light work of it

Overall at 7 years and 55k it was worthwhile as the oil was like treacle, so feel much happier now done
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post