Dash cam wired to Auxiliary battery instead of a battery pack?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Hi guys,

I wanted to buy a Thinkware U1000 dash cam and the Cellink Neo 9 dash cam battery pack but someone on the Facebook forum said they wired it to the Auxiliary battery instead of buying a dash cam battery pack. They said it will enable parking mode on the dash cam and that it can power the dash cam for weeks, so a lot longer than a dedicated dash cam battery pack would.

I was wondering has anyone done this on their car and what would happen if the Auxiliary battery went flat because of the dash cam?
They said that you don't need the aux battery and some people have even removed it without any ill effects so even if it went flat it would be fine.

So I'm really debating whether I should just use the aux battery instead of getting a dedicated dash cam battery pack...
What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan.

Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Do you have the 2nd Battery? depends on your model. I assume it's the Start/Stop battery on early models you refer to.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

The second battery, if you have one, is there ensure electrical systems sensitive to voltage are guaranteed at least 12v during starts (mainly for the stop/start system). If you flatten it then it won’t work as designed and you might encounter electrical gremlins (or you might not). I doubt Jaguar went to the trouble of fitting it if it wasn’t required. I also doubt it would power a dash cam ‘for weeks’ as it is not a large capacity battery. If it was me I’d use a dedicated dash cam back up battery.
scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:26 pm The second battery, if you have one, is there ensure electrical systems sensitive to voltage are guaranteed at least 12v during starts (mainly for the stop/start system). If you flatten it then it won’t work as designed and you might encounter electrical gremlins ...
The second battery is actually there during "stops" to power "essential systems" (whatever they are) and if it has insufficient power the car will stay "started". Any electrical gremlins will occur because of the main battery (or alternator).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

scm wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:47 pm
GusA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:26 pm The second battery, if you have one, is there ensure electrical systems sensitive to voltage are guaranteed at least 12v during starts (mainly for the stop/start system). If you flatten it then it won’t work as designed and you might encounter electrical gremlins ...
The second battery is actually there during "stops" to power "essential systems" (whatever they are) and if it has insufficient power the car will stay "started". Any electrical gremlins will occur because of the main battery (or alternator).
Ok, but that’s not how it was explained to me by a JLR master tech. He told me that the voltage drop of the main battery during starts (due to large current draw of the starter vs internal resistance of battery) could cause issues to other systems sensitive to voltage and the aux battery (dc/dc converter on newer cars) was there to prevent that happening. This makes more sense to me as there shouldn’t be any issues during stops as the main battery shouldn’t suffer a voltage drop.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I think you are wasting your keyboard time with this one.
OP hasn't been online since 5th April.
Deleted User 1715

PhilB wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:37 am I think you are wasting your keyboard time with this one.
OP hasn't been online since 5th April.
Thanks Phil.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Sorry hadn't realised this thread was fairly old when replying, must have come up in my search as an unread thread
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post